• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Recommendations for a budget zoom?

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
I've been photographing wildlife with the Sony 55-210 kit lens. I've gotten some surprisingly good shots but want a lens with longer reach. So I'm considering a Tamron 70-300 or a used Sony 70-350. I'll be using it on an a6000 and a6400. Would appreciate advice or other recommendations. Thanks!

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary has plenty of reach. I bought a Canon mount with the MC-11 adapter that has been used on an a7II, a6300, and an a7C.

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
The Sony E 70-350mm is an excellent lens. I'd still have it if I were still invested in Sony APS-C. But I sold all my apsc gear to fund my A7R4. Now I use the Sigma 100-400 and I'm very pleased with it. It's full frame, but it would be excellent on APSC.

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
It's very nice that we're not forced to adapt old dslr lenses anymore.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
It's very nice that we're not forced to adapt old dslr lenses anymore.
I love old glass. While they're all not created equal, there are some dandies. Of course I'm into film and some weirdness. There are examples that keep up with newer stuff. Too many variables to paint with a broad brush.

And with that, the new Sigma is $1500. Will need to do a comparison between it and the Sony 200-600, but a savings of 5 bones makes it a contender if it performs.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Weight, noise, speed and accuracy of auto focus. I used them because I didn't really have an option in e mount, but I wasn't satisfied with my wildlife pics until I started using native.

I have several adapted primes that I love. And I still use the minolta af 70-210/4, but not for wildlife.

Kirkp

TalkEmount Veteran
I’m glad I got the SEL70350G, but I wouldn’t choose it if I planned to go full frame later. Consider size and weight in your decision. Here’s a size comparison between the Sony 70-350, Tamron 70-300, and Sigma 150-600 (with lens hood). Full frame telephotos are larger and heavier than APS-C, as well as more expensive. I think the Tamron lacks OSS which will make handheld shooting more difficult, but keeps the cost, size and weight down.

2287A7EF-92E3-432B-9E29-F41779D04838.jpeg
   ---            

Last edited:

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks, everybody, for your feedback. I want to keep this purchase under $1000, so the new Sigma isn't an option right now. Also, don't want the weight and bulk on the small a6X00 cameras. I've read mixed reviews about the Tamron and image quality in online galleries is also mixed. So I'm leaning more toward the Sony 70-350.

Latest threads

Top Bottom