Recommendation - which 85mm f/1.4 (MF)?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, May 8, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    So I thought I’d solicit some thoughts on making a decision between two highly regarded MF 85mm f/1.4 lenses – The Nikkor AIS and the Rokinon (or Bower, etc.). Basically, my local camera shop has the Nikkor for ~$550 (in excellent shape), or I could buy the Rokinon for ~$260 ($215 used).

Obviously the tactile quality would go to the Nikkor, but based on overall IQ (sharpness, bokah, color, contrast, etc.), what are people’s thoughts?

The only real review I’ve found for the Nikkor is Ken Rockwell’s, but I’m never sure how much too take away from his reviews (no disrespect meant).
    Thanks in advance!

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I don't have them, but you can check photozone reviews:

Crop: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical (EOS) - APS-C format Review / Lab Test
    Full Frame: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical (full format) - Review / Test Report

I guess I included the right lenses, Samyang is same as Rokinon. It should give you an idea.

For Nikon, photozone has the newer version so quick google search about AIS:
    On nex: Old Lenses: New Life: Nikon Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-s
    Nikon 85mm 1.4 D vs AIS?
    85mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor

Other 85mm lens is Contax Zeiss 85mm which is close to Nikon price, but not highly regarded as other Zeiss lenses. Here is my samples:

As Sandokan suggested Canon 1.2 is very good also from the samples that I have seen. Olympus 85mm f/2 is the smallest 85mm f/2 lens, so that fits perfectly with nex cameras...
  3. Sandokan

Sandokan New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2013
    I got the Canon FD 85/1.2 for about $620 recently.

You can also consider the Olympus 85/2.0

These span your requirements but one is faster and the other is very compact.

Otherwise from your choice, I would try them in the shop and then decide which one you prefer the colour and image quality of. My preference would be the Samyang type as it is a more modern design. Always depends upon what effect you are after with such a lens. Dont forget a ND filter to go with it.
  4. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    I have the rokinon 85 1.4, its fantastic. For the price you can get it used nowadays its a steal and the optics are just as good as the canons/nikkors at large apertures but the latter are sharper stopped down.