Recommendation for adapted 20mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Oct 24, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The more I look at the WA options for Sony APS-C the more I am realized that I would likely be happier with and adapted 17/18/20/21 instead. I prefer adapted lenses, I have had great luck with my various Nikkors, Minoltas, Konicas etc. and neither the Sigma 19 nor the Sony 20 is exactly inspiring me to go out and pick one up. The Sigma 19/2.8 is certainly then best "bang for the buck" and I'm sure they're both nice lenses but given the choice a decent old MF lens is really more my speed. I might still end up with the Sigma or the Sony but I wanted to explore this a bit more before I decide.

In looking at lenses like the Nikkor 20/3.5, Canon FD 20/2.8 and Olympus OM 21/3.5 I think any of them might work out fine. When I use a WA lens it's primarily for walking around touristy kinds of shots and the vast majority of the time it's at F8 or F11 so MF is likely not going to be an issue anyway. The other considerations is that you can pick up a lens like the Canon FD 20/2.8 pretty reasonably if you're patient.

Currently the widest I have is a Nikkor N 24/2.8 and Minolta MC 24/2.8. On APS-C that gives me a widish-normal 36mm and I can make that work but on Fuji I really liked shooting the 18/2. I found I really enjoyed shooting 28mm FF equivalent (there has GOT to be a better way to say that).

What are some of your favorite WA lenses that you think are worth looking at?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I got the Canon FD20/2.8...then later the 20-35/3.5...both excellent lenses IMO.
    For my nature / wildlife type interests I almost never used the 20 wide open so the 2.8 wasn't really a benefit to me...and since getting the 20-35, it's the lens I reach for due to it's zoom flexibility.
    Another excellent one is the FD24-35/3.5

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I’ve always wanted to try the Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5 ...

From what I’ve seen, its a very good performer

It has been sitting in my ebay watch list forever, but I just can’t justify it to my self and pull the trigger to spend over $200 for a MF lens. I’m more of a native af lens shooter :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I’m usually a bargain hunter with my lenses and finding UWA adapted lenses and bargain rarely end up being one in the same. I’ll probably end up just using one of my 24’s. It’s not ideal but I already own them and my Nikkor 24/2.8 has really nice close focus so it’s pretty easy to use in a variety of situations. It’s also fairly small.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Avoid the Minolta MD (W.Rokkor) 2.8/20, it's horrible on APS-C and micro fourthirds in edges and corners. Even on full-frame at f/16 there's a visible ring of unsharpness between centre and corners.

There's a rumor that Sony might come up with a reasonably priced 20mm, although I'd hazard a guess it'll be still around €/$ 600.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think you'll find very few legacy bargains in this focal range. If they were good performers, they are also expensive. Even the FDn 20mm is about $200 USD.
    The other 17mm often praised is the Tamron SP. Like the Tokina RMS mentioned, both are a small ransom.
    I've only come across two bargains that yielded decent but not quality equal to the afore mentioned.
    The Tokina 21mm f/3.8m and the Cosina-made 19-35mm zoom. Partial plastic construction, somewhat similar to an aluminum offering made by Tokina for Vivitar.
    The 21mm is sharp in the center and looks great for close ups. Edges are weak for landscapes. The Cosina zoom is more consistently sharp across the frame at 19mm, but a little less sharp in the center compared to the 21mm prime. I returned the Cosina zoom as I couldn't justify it given the focal range was well-covered by other primes and zooms.
    I am biased toward shooting primes anyway. My copy of the 21mm is under the Soligor offering. Can be found as a Vivitar as well. Both use the Tokina T4 adaptive mount.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Because of the kinds of images I like to make soft in the corners and even vignetting are usually not much of an issue for me but not with a WA a I use it primarily for landscapey kinds of shots when I travel so the strengths of a lens like the Sigma 19/2.8 makes more sense. That said, I found the rendering of the Sigma 19 pretty pedestrian (I thought the Sigma 30 was better) when I had one. I like the look of the images from the Sony 20 a lot more but it’s almost twice as much. That’s why I initially looked at the FD 20/2.8.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Still looking for a wide angle option. I have found a few Sigma 19’s but I just can’t bring myself to buy that lens (there is currently one on FM for $135). If I go native the other affordable option is the Sony SEL20/2.8. Of course for that price I can also pick up a Canon FD20/2.8, Nikkor UD 20/3.5, Olympus OM 21/3.5 or maybe even a Konica 21/4. Sometimes you can find the Sony closer to $200 or $225 if you're patient.

Of those options, the Nikkor, Canon and the Konica appeal the most but the Sony comes in a close (enough) fourth that if I found one at the right price I might go with it.

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Since you are still looking for options, how about a used Voigtlander? The Heliar and Skopar lenses can sometimes be purchased for a reasonable price.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That’s a good idea, my normal reservation about RF lenses lack of close focusing wouldn’t really be an issue. I’ll take a look.

11. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  13. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes I had a vivitar version also.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    This is the zoom I posted about previously, made by Cosina. Mine was a Promaster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I like the 20mm F4 Nikon. 52mm filter size.
    Sometimes found affordable. Sometimes not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have and have gotten good results out of the 20mm SEL and also a 28mm Sigma although I don't use them a whole lot.

20mm SEL

_DSC3442.
    _DSC5590.

28mm Sigma
    20170211_105655.

20170211_114336.

20170211_113022.

_DSC8710.

_DSC6191.

• Like Like x 4
  17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I gave in and picked up a Sigma 19 (for a great price) from a former forum member. At a little over half the price of the cheapest adapted options I was favoring it was hard to argue against it. If I end up hating it I can simply pass it on to someone else.

I’ll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Nikkor or Konica but in the interim I will have a useable WA option.

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I enjoy my 19mm f/2.8 and it's returned some sharp landscapes and cityscapes, so I can give it my endorsement. Maybe I have a good copy, because I don't see the issues some have with it. It's sharper than my 18-55mm kit.

• Like Like x 1