Received Sigma 30/2.8... Meh... and more Exoticas on the way

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    My Sigma 30/2.8 DN showed up yesterday.
    I'll give it that, it's small and cute and unconspicuous. And sharp. My MC 50.1.4 @F2 is just as sharp, by the way, when critically focused.

AF is... err... Laborious. In fact i'd be ok if the lens didn't go through it's whole focus range every single time you half press the shutter.
    Background blur is of course very limited by the not so fast aperture. For comparison here's a 55/1.2 @1.5 shot (same subject in exact same spot) :

Compression plus very wide aperture turns background into (lovely IMO) mush.

Colors in the Sigma are also a bit above the top, which pleases a majority of people, I suppose. It's probably a cool and useful walk around lens when you want to stay in A mode with Auto ISO on and snap casually. For portraits there are just way better options for a fraction of the cost (though this one is cheap for AF) and a much higher fun factor (not to mention much more character).

Anyway, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the whole AF scheme on NEX. I keep reading reports on DPR on "how fast" or "how improved" is the new PDAF, or folks talking about shooting bursts blah blah, and I go "Duh ?! Burst of blurry shots, sure, though I can't really see the point...

Even in traumatic lightning condition (very strong back lightning, total DR torture test, moving targets) I'd rather use MF lenses on this cam :

RAW probably could have yielded a much better exposed image, except I don't use it, lol. I think it looks pretty good as such.

Because of the strong risk of under exposure here and low light, I stick to ISO 800 for those.

Since I was going no flash for the above, I tried a little natural light back at home :

Can't quite remember what ISO I used tho, probably 400 or 800

And back to my usual flash set-up :

My latest grabs of "exoticas" :

A Porst Color Color-Reflex MX Auto 55/1.2
    An Auto-Revuenon 55/1.7 (presumably Tomioka made since it's the faux leather focus ring version)
    Watching a bunch of other beauties right now.
  2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha,I just posted that I may sell mine actually. Plasticky little Thingy, turns out sharp shots but what you've said is pretty spot on. Love the thumb sucking pic, really nice.
  3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    If I hadn't just emptied my bank account buying various exoticas I would have been tempted by your black kit lens, but I have a silver one that doesn't seem to want to sell, and I can't justify both. Especially when I hardly EVER use it, LOL
  4. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Same boat here, nex 7 emptied mine, and not sure its worth me keeping either of my AF's.
  5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Keep one at least to allow for someone else to use the camera or even to sell with the NEX-7 to buy a NEX-9 or whatever in the future.
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Thought about selling mine, until I realized it has yielded the majority of my "keeper" landscapes. That's what I consider to be this lens' forte - I certainly jibe with it for that.
    YMMV :)
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    That's a great plan. Keep one native AF lens to sell with the camera...the legacy lenses will make the transition should I jump to a new body like the Fuji (not that I am panning that).
  8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm thinking the exact same thing. The day Fuji gets Peaking, I'm getting an EX-1 ;)