Really struggling on next computer purchase (Mac)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
(a)
Besides more RAM, I think it's more prudent to back up your files to the external 4TB. Set up to have your editing done on the SSD, and auto back up to the external. You can set up a manual run of file mirroring before permanently deleting folders on the SSD to make room.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
As they have become progressively harder and harder to upgrade yourself, this is one of the reasons I've left Apple.
Back to PC? Do you just build your own?

What's the state of virus and malware checkers with PCs? Last time I was in PC-land (mid-2000s) they were a pain in the but and really taxed the system. Created a lot of issues.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
I sticking with MAC, I'll likely get a new one when they are available (Skylake) or else a 2015 model 15" MBP, 16 GB RAM with 512GB SSD and continue to use my LaCie 4TB external HDD (USB 3.0) and 4TB LaCie Rugged portable HDD (also USB 3.0)

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I am a Windows user, and did in fact build my own this last time. It is pretty easy to do these days, but you can pick up a new premade computer at pretty reasonable prices, too. You do need to do a little research, sometimes even different lines from the same vendor can be a much different value. I recommend staying with business-class vs consumer lines - usually much better builds per dollar.

I run free AV at home, and I forget which one is used at work. Really don't have issues with either one. Personally I avoid Symantec/Norton and McAfee as I just find them too invasive, but none of the major vendors affects performance much anymore.

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Back to PC? Do you just build your own?What's the state of virus and malware checkers with PCs? Last time I was in PC-land (mid-2000s) they were a pain in the but and really taxed the system. Created a lot of issues.
My laptop is a Lenovo--if you buy business class laptops, you get better build quality & CS. My desktop is home-built. Anti-virus/malware software is far better than it was back then. Lightweight/minimal resource use. MS builds its own into the OS these days, too, which nearly (but not quite) makes additional AV unnecessary.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
The built-in MS antivirus is very lightweight, but it generally scores rather poorly in detection, even against free products. Here is one testing site that regularly ranks them, for the benefit of anyone interested.
AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute

I really detest the vermin that write malware, especially ransomware. My workplace has been infected a few times this year, which is no fun for the system admins. No platforms are completely immune, though as the most common platform, Windows also attracts the majority of malware. It is a matter of how many users are out there, and how much money can be made from them. A lot of it is propagated by hacktivists, organized crime, or foreign governments these days.

Still, I almost never see malware on my own boxes. I think it has a lot to do with the websites you visit, and not necessarily because they are bad sites - sadly it often comes via infected third-party ad servers. Most people have gotten smart enough to not click on links and attachments from emails, or install software from random web sites.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom