1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reading vs Doing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by chalkdust, Jan 3, 2016.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I tend to read more and do less. I lurk on this board and try to soak up the skill and wisdom of the good photographers here. I intend to change that. So today, an ordinary day, I walked around outside to find things that caught my attention to photograph.

I seem to be most interested in today in lines and textures. So these are my favorite shots from today. I think they are not nearly as good as the almost daily images I see from the many good photographers here, but I need to start where I am. The problem with "lines and textures", I think, is that it gives nothing for the viewer to contact with except the overall rhythm of the composition.

I am also trying to learn a bit about the development options in Capture One (for Sony). It looks like the "Clarity" options have huge impact, but I do not understand, really, what they do. If any of you can point me to good explanations, I would appreciate it.

These images were captured with a A7ii and 40mm Heliar, a simple, manual lens that is not surpassed by my skills.

I want to improve my photography, so comments are welcome. I will not be offended. I respect you people more than you probably guess.

40mm 2. 40mm 3.

• Like Like x 7
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    IMO the enjoyment / satisfaction in any hobby is the journey / learning curve so embrace / enjoy it...if when you reach a point where shooting perfect shots every time is routine, the challenge & sense of achievement will be deminished...just my 2 cents
    :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Totally agree with Bill's comment above!

Lines and textures is a favorite theme for me as well :)
    If you're looking for honest critique, then for me the above photos are lacking in terms of composition - they don't seem to draw my eye to the subject (which is the lines in #1). Shapes, Lines, Textures work really well with B&W too ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    What was said above, however I happen to like the first photo -- the play of the light and the shadows.

5. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Reading is for SQUARES daddy-o, get out and shoot, then shoot, and shoot some more!

I don't know if you shoot in full manual mode, if not I encourage you to do so, learn and master your camera, control it, and don't allow it to control you. Shoot all the time, and perfect your craft.

(I am just kidding about the reading)

6. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Chalkdust, I think you should try to reverse that trend. I tend to overthink most things, but with photography I just do it --and analyze my failings and try to address them the next time around. Unlike film photography, the cost per shot of digital is minute and the feedback is immediate (at least in terms if whether or not it was successfully captured), so shoot often my friend....

I think every good photograph has a subject, a node if you will that our eyes are drawn to. For me, I struggle with #2 --my eyes are drawn to the brighter branches yet they lead me off the frame and not into it.

8. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

Kudos Chalkdust, you are out there showing up and doing it. Thank you for your open discussion post, I myself a newbie photographer and learn a lot from the open discussions of others, maybe I'm still too green to contribute here. But I too, am drawn to lines, shadows, light and textures, I googled a bit the Capture One clarity tool. No comments on the tool you want to use but thru my own learning curve I fondly become so captivated with lines, shadows, light and textures that I forget my subject and composition and so on. Going to black and white has been a tremendous help to me. Because photography is so much about the artists' intent, I find I ask myself repeatedly to identify my subject then I muster up my skills to compose the image and so forth. If your post was more about the clarity tool itself, that's a subject for others. My words only, we all develop our own process and I am still developing mine. Just as others have posted, kudos to getting out there and just doing it again and again and again!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I couldn't agree more .....well said.

10. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I appreciate the comments and encouragement given. Composition was pointed out as lacking. I agree, in fact in #2 there is not even any real subject around which to build a composition. So I decided to simplify subject matter. How about one branch with leaves outlined in light? So this morning, I tried this image. I like it better. For one thing, I visualized this image before I made it -- then I figured out what lens and exposure it might require. (9cm f/4 Elmar collapsable from the 60's)

Again, comments are very helpful to me.
    DSC00003.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  11. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

Chalkdust, I generally sign in once a week, read/learn and then comment if I can. I want today to express that you are an inspiration to me. Just showing up is one step and then doing it is for life, thanks for sharing this image and lens info. When one sets our mind to our own creativity we will learn something from every image, every time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think that's a nice photo! Composition definitely is significant and its nice here ;)

I'm not an expert in any way but technically, I'd probably brighten it a bit (during taking the photo or later in post) - it seems a little under-exposed to me (even though I normally like a tad underexposed pics myself) :)

13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Maybe check out this video chalkdust, its not for capture one but this guy I find explains things quite well.
    Also if you find that black and white can help your composition and you are shooting raw you can turn on black and white picture effect and still have the full colour raw to play with.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1