READ Trey Ratcliff's post today on why he is switching to 3rd gen cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lapdog99, Jan 4, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Looks like Trey has seen the light and getting tired of dragging two Nikon D3s around and a heavy tripod. Once some more fast glass
    is available for the NEX's (aside from the Zeiss and 50 1.8 to come) the rush will be on. I think companies like Sigma will have the opportunity to
    provide well made alternatives to Sony's offerings eventually. I agree with one of the posts that described the
    NEXs as eventually being thought of as digital backs for lenses. The wait is on.

Trey's post is at:

Stuck In Customs HDR Photography

Sure hope UPS delivers my Tamron today, it was supposed to be yesterday.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Quite an interesting read and he mentions a lot of good points regarding the evolution to 3rd gen cameras.
  3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Interesting article. Thanks for the link. I imagine all the manufacturers will be courting Mr Ratcliffe to persuade him to go with their system. An endorsement (not even official but just in terms of use) from someone like him would have more impact than most advertising campaigns. I did notice in one of his replies in the comments that he mentioned waiting for the next Sony NEX. I'm sure Sony will be thrilled at the prospect.
  4. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    During the Yosemite Walk video he has on Google+ he mentions the Sony Alphas specifically. It is interesting his change of position from a year ago. I agree having to haul his heavy camera, tripod etc at Yosemite has made him see the light... I have walked up from the valley to the top of the valley and it's a tough haul
  5. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    One thing about Trey, he does not cater to any camera manufacturer, period. He uses what he wants to use, and if you read his article on what happened after he spent $30k on magazine advertising to
    compare it with value of web blogs, he very clearly is not in anyone's pocket (most of the ads failed to return anywhere near their cost).

Trey is a very gifted photographer, artist (he paints) and world traveler who is making a good living doing what he loves best.