re the nex and small camera systems in general

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Jan 13, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I always have had a good quality second camera, at present I have the NEX 6.
    had the GF1, NEX 3 and 5n , I honestly thought that the NEX would be a deal breaker and I would go down that road, however, today, re evaluating the equipment I have and ease of use and results from the 700 and 580 I have decided that for me the NEX is remaining a second camera. I will be keeping the native lenses 16mm, WA for 16mm and 16-50 zoom but will not buy any more kit for the NEX. I was toying with the idea of flash triggers and wireless shutter release for the NEX but I have all these for the 580/700, so really I'm just duplicating for the sake of it, and as this stuff demands the use of a tripod and flashstands , portability goes out of the window.
    I had my a580 out today and it is such a superior camera in almost every respect except portability, although I will be using the NEX more than the other cameras ,it will always be my 2nd choice camera for serious photography.
    I will still be on the forum and keeping up,this is not a bad place to be.
    Has anybody else had this revelation,for want of a better word.
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Sort of the same thing, but the other way around: I'm still on the fence between µ4/3 and NEX. I'm done with DSLRs some time ago already, primarily because of the focus problems I always had. I don't know yet if I'll be keeping two systems and if not, which one has to go. The NEX-6 is giving me very good results with MF lenses, but the GH2 with AF lenses beats it hands-down in terms of AF speed, handling and user interface. I don't want to buy a GH3 but if there will be a reasonably priced Panasonic or Olympus model with the same sensor and a built-in viewfinder I might go for it and then the NEX possibly ends up gathering dust.
  3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Coming from Pro DSLR (including FF), and with a stop via m4/3. At this point NEX 7 is what I shoot, and it's certainly an impressive camera IQ wise. However, no matter what anybody says, the native lens line-up is still lacking a LOT, and AF performance is still lame (and yes, I did have the 6 with the new "placebo effect" PDAF, lol).
    Despite the quirks and flaws of the NEX system, I'm still NOT shooting a DSLR anymore. Once you've tested top of the line IQ that fits in your purse, there's no going back (at least for me). I'm absolutely convinced compact system cameras ARE the future. That being said, what do I want in a CSC, that will make me dump my NEX 7 :
    #1, need to have feature : APS-C or FF chip. Mandatory. If m4/3 was enough I would have been toast forever with the GX-1...
    Rangefinder type body with corner EVF.
    FAST, reliable AF, even if only in single mode, tracking would be a bonus but I'll settle for anything as good as the GX-1 AF performance.
    Focus Peaking (a must) or the new split focus Fuji system if it works as well as Peaking (the new Fuji offers both, anyway).
    In-camera 1:1 ratio (VERY big deal for me, I love to be able to shoot square format directly in camera)
    Decent number of external controls (I'm reasonably happy with the 7's UI). Direct access (no press and turn) to exp comp.
    Some good, fast, useful native lenses (in that regard Fuji's line-up suits me JUST fine)

That's it. Gimme that and I'll buy it, whatever logo it sports in front. I have a hunch it'll be either Sony or Fuji, though I read that Panasonic does consider upping their game to a larger sensor. The GX-1 I shot for 7 months certainly put them up there with the big boys in my reference book, so I wouldn't dismiss that.
  4. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I have an A57, just for AF, and until recently a NEX. after having a NEX I think I would always like a cam to use MF lenses with and for low light/flashless situations without compromising on IQ. I have ordered a Pentax K-01, out of curiosity and el cheapo price, but I may well be heading back to the NEX if it doesn't suit (or even if it does)

Hang out, we have fun and we're friendly :)

5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I have had my Nex 5 for 2 years and still use it regularly, but I wanted a viewfinder and faster AF. [Nex 5 was for most of that time my main, as in most used camera although I have had various m43 cameras too).

An upgrade to a Nex 5n (£300) plus a viewfinder (£200) would have been around £500 and a Nex 6 or 7 even more than that. So after looking at various dslrs I realised I could get the A37 body + 3 prime a mount lenses for the same budget of £500 and that would give me faster AF as well as the evf. So that is what I did - I can still use the Nex (or my G3 m43 camera) when I don't want the bulk or places a dslr is not allowed like gigs, plus for use with legacy mf lenses.

Eventually I might get the a mount to Nex adapter to have a kind of 'modular' system, maybe a Nex 7 too if/when the 5 gives up the ghost - by then hopefully the price of both these things will have dropped a fair bit and it will be more clear where the a mount and e-mount are going.

The Nex is great as you can attach almost any mf legacy lens to it and there are so many great 'legacy' lenses out there for very little money. I also like that there are some very nice inexpensive Minolta and other a mount af lenses available for the a37 - picked up a Minolta 100-200mm f4.5 for £50, a Sigma 28-80 with 2:1 macro on the long end for £15 and just for fun, a surprisingly good Minolta 35-70 (cheap plastic kit lens) for £10 - all AF of course.
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Respect your decision. As much as I love my NEX, I recognize there are a few things and circumstances that DSLR's trump the NEX on.
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Well, it's camera gear, not your life. You (anybody) should shoot what makes you happy. :cool:
  8. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Exactly. I lost interest in photography because I wanted nothing to do with hiking around with my dSLR anymore. The NEX brought back the enjoyment for me, and I don't see myself ever looking back. But if a dSLR is what motivates your creativity, then fire away and enjoy it!

I have to say, nianys want list above makes for a very great sounding camera for me. We should shop that around to some manufacturers!
  9. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    My revelation was finally being convinced I no longer needed a DSLR. After I got the NEX-5 I hung onto my DSLR setup until a month ago when I finally sold it all off. What made the difference for me was the arrival of the NEX-6 since I couldn't give up a viewfinder (though I haven't got the 6 yet - I'm still happy playing with my RX100.)

I think this all comes down to what kind of pictures you take: I don't use flash so the advantages of the DSLR system there don't matter to me. AF speed isn't an issue for me. I tend to shoot at shorter rather than longer focal lengths. And, for me, the range of lenses available right now is good enough with two of the three more I would like coming this year. The only gap for me is an affordable 24 and I can make do with the 19 on one side and the 30 on the other.

So now I am without a DSLR (or SLR) for the first time in many years and not missing it at all. But that's just because the CRC alternative works for the way I shoot.
  10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    On saturday nicht we were on a birthdays party with some friends we haven't seen for a while and from whom 2 of them are really good amateur photographs with some expensive equipment.
    They start laughing at me (first of all to make fun with me) when I showed them my new 5N system.
    After some shots and looking at the speed and quality of the images on the LCD and looking at the built quality they had to admit that the Nex really is a good camera...
    And really the right camera for me, but not for them... being so small...
  11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was (and am still) a m4/3 user. But as I came up to making a further investment I decided to migrate to the NEX. Any new purchases are with the NEX. I know that many seem to be awaiting a full-frame NEX, but I think that the APS-C NEX makes more sense. (I wouldn't mind an RX1, but I won't buy one.)
  12. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I never considered my NEX 7 to be a second camera but a camera for different uses. I am primarily a wildlife photographer, and in this specialty the NEX falls short in every way, availability of long focal length lenses, reliable servo focus etc. I bought the NEX for a lightweight high quality travel camera and also for a good camera to take where DSLR cameras are not allowed. Many venues do not take the NEX seriously and allow shooting where DSLR cameras are banned.
    I have been shooting for many years and feel no need to go back to the manual focus era. I find the NEX 7 to be a more then adequate camera capable of excellent results when care is taken. I have no problem with the AF system. It is what it is and once you realize what it does or doesn't do well and shoot within those parameters you won't be frustrated. No camera will do everything well. IMHO I think there is entirely too much emphasis on what the next model will do and not enough on getting the most out of the present one.
  13. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I just saw how attractively priced the D600 is now, and felt... nothing. Crazy. When the camera was rumored I was foaming at the mouth at the mere thought of it. That was before I tried CSC. Now anything bigger than a XE-1 is just... too big.
    I still don't have the native lenses I'd normally shoot though. Well, yes the SEL exists and is a great lens... sorry, would be one if it AF'ed faster. Now I really want that 35/1.8, dang.
  14. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    For me, there's no constant primary or secondary. For some trip or shooting session, D600 is my main camera; for others, even micro 4/3 works just fine. Sometimes I take two cameras to cover different focal lengths. Why do you always need to set a primary?
    D600 is not that big for a full frame, only slightly bigger than D7000. It has great AF, ISO performance and dynamic range is even better than NEX7. Seeing NEX came out after D7000 with the same sensor, the full frame NEX won't be that far away. But every one is different, I have quite a few Nikon AI/AIS lenses already, so D600 makes a lot of sense to me.
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I've never made a living, or even a penny, from any of my cameras. And like Rallyfan, lugging around an SLR with a bag full of lenses just took all the pleasure away from photography for me. With the advent of µ4/3, I rediscovered the simple joy of having a camera with me that didn't act like a boat anchor. And now that I've migrated to the NEX platform, my photographic life is even better. A second camera? That's my iPhone 5. :D