1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Raw vs jpeg on Multirotor aerial shots

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by rumbey, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi folks,

Just really started using the Nex-5r for stills and video on a Multirotor UAV platform. My jpegs are very good but the RAW images are blue? I'm trying to work out whats wrong and how to sort this issue out. any ideas

I'm shooting at shutter speeds of around 1/800 - 1/1250

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Check your white balance. If your jpgs are ok try copying the white balance temp into your RAW files.

3. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Yes that seems to have got the images alot closer to the jpegs.

I also have an issue with the intervalometer app. All the pictures come out overexposed and blurred unlike the stills I get using the IR shutter. any ideas?

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Does the app only control the interval, or can you set exposure parameters as well? May be you need to set exposure in the app & not on the camera. That's a wild quess BTW, I've never seen the app. ;)

5. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    Yes I use the custom settings and change each parameter so it matches the manual shots I take.

I need to play around with settings but it does appear that the app needs a perfectly still position?

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Are all the shots overexposed/blurry, or just some of them? If only some, it may be the camera orientation in relation to the sun that's causing the issue.

I shouldn't think the app requires a fixed camera position, but I really don't know. [shrug]

7. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    No its every single shot?

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No idea then.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The blue cast is due to wrong color temperature. It is very easy to correct in post processing and there is option in the camera to adjust it. I do it in the post processing as my lightning changes so much. Anyway sunlight is bluer now when sun is low (light has to travel longer in air and more ultraviolet light is converted to blue light).

I think that intervalometer is messing with your exposure time.

10. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    I'm now using the Sony Raw Data converter instead of the gimp UFraw plugin - Much better app.

I'll double check settings again when I test the intervalometer later today. Thanks again for the replies

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't you find Sony's Raw Data converter painfully slow to work?

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use Raw Therapee. Worth a try.

13. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    I've have only just used it this morning and its a massive improvement over gimps ufraw.

I may look at others if they are quicker like raw therapee

14. rumbey

rumbey New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    I have just retested the intervalometer in Manual focus and its now working great.

Does anyone know if its due to the first shot being the "focus obtaining" one. If so this could be the issue in AF mode.