1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Raw support for PS CS5.5.2?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by RAWFA, Sep 8, 2013.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any other plugin for Photoshop to replace Camera Raw? I think the latest Camera Raw version for CS5.5.2 is 6.7 and it doesn't support the NEX-7 or the Canon 6D (I own both cameras). I REALLY don't want to move to CS6. My workflow involves viewing the files on Bridge, opening them with Camera Raw and treating them to a certain extent and then finalizing with Photoshop. I still want to be able to use this workflow but I'd like to replace Camera Raw with something that doesn't force me to move to another version to get RAW support for newer cameras.

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    A photoshop plug in is Adobe DNG Converter

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The Adobe DNG converter is also available as a stand alone program, which might be better as they tend to update them both at the same time, but I'm not sure if the newer plugin works with all versions of PS or not.

4. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    This is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back to life. I don't want a stand alone program, I want something that will allow me to open the latest RAW files into Photoshop. I don't want to convert files and the open them on Photoshop.

Is there a way to force the latest versions of Camera Raw to detect Photoshop CS5.5 as a newer version so it will work? The way I work is to have Bridge open to view my files, then open the raw files FROM bridge, do the necessary adjustments and then open directly in photoshop.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I know of nothing that will do what you're seeking, Rafael. And believe me, I've looked. I bit the bullet over a year ago and switched to Lightroom (after toying with Aperture). I find that Lightroom does 98% of everything I need, and Pixelmator does the rest. I haven't used my old CS5 version of Photoshop in so long, it has cobwebs in its code.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    David is correct, you can't get there from here. Lightroom would seem to be your only option for a one-stop solution on your computer. I'm assuming you don't want to do the PS cloud thing.

The standalone version of DNG converter is really rather painless, though it is an extra step in getting the pics from the card into the computer. Once imported as DNG files they are viewable/actionable in Bridge as a ACR file would be.