1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Raw files

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by doctormstein1, Aug 14, 2011.

1. doctormstein1

doctormstein1 New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    Does anyone have any ideas as to which programs to use for raw files besides the sony progam

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Which camera are you using? So far none of the major applications support the NEX-C3. For the NEX-3 and NEX-5, a lot of people use Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture.

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Adobe has both Lightroom and Camera Raw that will process NEX files. Lightroom is an excellent piece of software and I can highly recommend it. If you are on a Mac then there also is Apple's Aperture as an option.

4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I forgot about the NEX-C3. I imagine Adobe and Apple will have updates that include it by this Fall.

5. doctormstein1

doctormstein1 New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    I will be using the nex C3 on windows vista

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Right now there is nothing for the C3 on Vista, but the next Adobe Lightroom update should support RAW files from that camera. I highly recommend Lightroom.

7. Delhaye

Delhaye TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 19, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Does anyone know how long aperture or lightroom take to update in order to recognise the c3 raw files? It has been 3 weeks since I bought the camera and the Sony software is a bit pain to use...

Thsnks

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Ah, that is a question I have asked myself many times with many cameras! Lightroom updates come pretty often, so there's a good chance you'll get support through Lightroom within the next month or two. Aperture support for new cameras can sometimes take much longer.

9. Delhaye

Aug 19, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks Amin!

I don't know why it takes so long, I can¡t imagine the saw files from the other NEX cameras to be that different from the ones in the C3.
    Well, let's wait and see!

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    DPReview has processed C3 RAW files using a private beta of Lightroom, so the support exists within Adobe. Just a matter of getting support together for a bunch of new cameras before bringing them all out together.

11. Delhaye

Aug 19, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    So the best thing is when a bunch of new cameras are launched at the same time... best chances of having the update sooner ;-)

Again, thanks Amin!

12. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    I've bought an Olympus XZ-1 two weeks ago and LR 3 doesn't support that yet and I'm just starting to use RAW!

13. alphaone

alphaone New to TalkEmount

Aug 15, 2011
    Image Data Converter which supplied in the package is the best raw converter for NEX imo.
    very simple and amazing !

14. Vincent Ie

Vincent Ie New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2011
    Be patient but keep shooting!

15. Jim Nichols

Jim Nichols New to TalkEmount

Aug 22, 2011
  16. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    As far as I know DNG converter is updated at the same time as ACR and LR so until the update appears generally you won't be able to convert to DNG either.

17. Henry Peach

Henry Peach TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2011
    KS, USA
    I'm using old Adobe Camera Raw (CS4 version). I just have to convert the Sony NEX-3 raw files to DNG with the free Adobe DNG Converter.