Raw file problem for combination of Sony A7R and Voigtlander 12mm F5.6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by raytneh, May 29, 2014.

1. raytneh

raytneh New to TalkEmount

May 29, 2014
    Penang, Malaysia
    Hi All,
    I have found out a raw file problem for combination of Sony A7R and Voigtlander 12mm f5.6,
    Please refer to the attachment,
    DSC01226 1. DSC01226 2.

The center bottom part of the image, you can find out a maze pattern in the 100% cropped image.
    Did anyone facing this kind of problem? and got any solution for this?

Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First, welcome to the forum. :)

Now, Is this the only image like this, or all all of them like this? I'm viewing this on my iPad but it looks like the pattern is actually part of the concrete to me, almost like something with that pattern was laid on the concrete while it was still wet.

If not, then I'm stumped.

3. raytneh

May 29, 2014
    Penang, Malaysia
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks, this forum is great, can have a sharing here.
    This is another image to show the pattern, it is not about the concrete.
    1/80s f5.6 ISO 100

thanks.
    ray

Attached Files:

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I picked a small detail from the chrome strip on the bumper of the car on the right.
    i-CzBRgQV-M.
    There's a fine vertical pattern in the upper side of the chrome strip. Looks like there is some banding on a pixel level. Together with the maze structures in the concrete and the car on the right I'd say the camera's sensor-signal-processing-circuit is faulty, presuming that others don't have this kind of artefacts. My Nikon D200 had a similar problem, which was well documented at the time and acknowledged by Nikon (although late in the process, as usual), and there was quite some variation in the severity of the problem across D200 samples.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. raytneh

May 29, 2014
    Penang, Malaysia
    Hi All,
    I have found out the solution, actually is not a problem for camera sensor or lens, it is a software development causes.
    Check the link below:

dpanswers.com/tech_defects.html#maze

Maze artefacts, are distortions in digital image created by (presumably) faulty software demosaicing RAW data from a digital sensor.
    The defect is caused by software and digital signal processing, and not caused by the camera. Different RAW-converters produce this maze pattern in varying degrees. Maze artefacts may be very visible in the outout from one RAW-converter, and totally absent in the output from another.

Thanks everyone and have good day ahead.
    cheers,
    ray

• Like Like x 2
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Which RAW converter did you use?

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I've noticed the maze effect in the OOC jpg images from my a7r. You can even view them on the screen so does that point to a sony problem or a sensor problem?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If the maze effect isn't visible in the raw files (shoot raw+jpeg to confirm), then I'd say it must be the A7R's jpeg processor.

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Comments like that make me glad I didn't early adopt. But at the same time. I'm really missing out on that full Frame glory.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I may be off, but it looks like it could be a moire effect. Which is a byproduct of the A7R not having an AA filter.

11. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    can you post any of those ooc examples? i've not seen anything like this on any of my a7r shots, including the jpeg versions, and i do a lot of pixel-peeping.

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  13. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I'm not at home right now and the samples that I have on my phone don't clearly show. I'm pretty sure it's only in the jpg files that seen. It's also only been in the black and white effect, I use +3 on contrast and sharpening. It's most likely the sharpening algorithm.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 2