1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

RAW file conversion in-camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jcdoss, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I shoot RAW all the time. One think I liked about my Pentax K30 was the ability to convert a single RAW file to JPG, and do some creative editing in-camera, whenever I wanted to share a quick photo online (via Eye-Fi). I wonder if that's possible with a NEX-6?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Every NEX raw file comes with its own jpeg preview. I've never used an Eye-Fi card, since the NEX-6 has built-in WiFi that I often use to export the jpeg preview to my iPhone or iPad for instant sharing. Then I do any "creative editing" on my iOS device. Have you considered using that method?

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You can shoot RAW + JPEG, that's just about the same except the additional storage needed. But storage is cheap nowadays anyways.

4. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    The K30 actually has a fairly powerful in-camera editing setup that's easy to use, and pretty nice for a quick snapshot I want to email or post to FB now and then. The Eye-Fi is needed to get it off the phone, but the linkage is pretty nice. I miss that already with the NEX6.

I guess RAW+JPG will be standard operating procedure then, unless there's a way to separate the RAW preview file.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, there are awesome editing apps on smartphones now, I wouldn't miss a button driven small screen system.

6. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Suggestions?

Sent from my MB855 using TalkNEX mobile app

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I personally like Snapseed from Nik Software.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I second that. Unless you're going for a full-on Photoshop replacement, with layers, curves, etc., Snapseed is the way to go.

9. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    I guess my phone's not modern enough. How about a recommendation for something that runs on Android 2.3?