Rant ! A7 sensor flare !

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Mar 11, 2016.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    How to ruin a photograph ? A7 sensor flare of course. The same day I was attending a trade and noticed a cameraman shooting film using the A7. Met him and we had a little chat about he A7. He got it just before the A7 II was released and he told me he never suffered from the sensor flare. Showed him some examples from my photos. Nothing comparable on his side.
    Well, just wondering if Sony has fixed this even before the A7 II on latter A7 being manufactured. Anyhow, I am seriously considering an upgrade now...

Bir Hakeim Bridge by yannis marigo, sur Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, that looks pretty severe alright :(

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Too bad. The funny thing is this isn't as bad as it gets. I love the camera most of the time, but this is one feature I can do without. I can't really afford a A7II at the moment, but I have considered selling my A7 and getting a used A7r. Then I started reading about shutter shock. Maybe that's the price of early adoption. It really is a shame that I may ultimately upgrade my camera to combat a bug and not for the features.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Huge fan and continued user of the original A7 as I am, I'd be the first to say: it is not the best choice if you plan to do a bunch of sun star stuff.
    I'm glad to hear that Sony resolved the issue with the next generation of bodies. It's a thorn in my side sometimes, but not quite enough so to warrant an upgrade. At least not just yet.
    For my typical application, it's not too terrible. (I actually had some obnoxious ghosting issues on the old NEX-7 that mysteriously vanished with the A7.) It seems to be less drastic when the bright spots are closer to the middle of the frame.
    flickr-1.
    If I were doing a bunch of those night cityscapes, I would definitely be in a much bigger hurry to switch.

5. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I can see those green dots even if one your picture they blend beautifully with the subject.

Hopefully this gets really annoying when shooting close to source light. But man, it just ruined my photo. Not to say there was a mega green flare dot in the bridge that I was able to fix more or less in LR.

My problem is that I do love night cityscapes and start to feel really frustrated...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Time to bite the bullet I think Yannis :) Your photography is so great that it does not deserve this kind of issues ;)

7. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    T
    Too much honour sir !