Ranking adapters by thickness ...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Sep 9, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Hey guys

does anyone has a clear idea of what mounts offer the thinnest adapters ? Like, it seems (visually, haven't measured them) that the FD to NEX is thinner than say, the M42 to NEX, etc...

I know some Leica mount has the thinnest adapter of all, but then those lenses are not in my budget !

Just trying to figure out what would be a good compromise between IQ, ease of use, and overall package size.
    I have 2 OM lenses that are tiny but the adapter looks pretty thick.
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Most of the slr lenses are going to have a similar registration distance. So, unless you use rangefinder lenses (think Russian for less cost) they're all going to be about the same size.

If you look at this chart you can see how close most slr lenses are.
  3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
  4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Generally speaking, legacy lenses made for rangefinder cameras will require "thinner" adapters than lenses made for SLRs. It has to do with the flange to film distance which is obviously less on rangefinder bodies because there's no mirror mechanism.

What the adapter does (besides providing a mount interface) is to place the legacy lens at the correct flange-to-NEXsensor distance which it was originally designed for.