• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Ranking adapters by thickness ...

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hey guys

does anyone has a clear idea of what mounts offer the thinnest adapters ? Like, it seems (visually, haven't measured them) that the FD to NEX is thinner than say, the M42 to NEX, etc...

I know some Leica mount has the thinnest adapter of all, but then those lenses are not in my budget !

Just trying to figure out what would be a good compromise between IQ, ease of use, and overall package size.
I have 2 OM lenses that are tiny but the adapter looks pretty thick.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Most of the slr lenses are going to have a similar registration distance. So, unless you use rangefinder lenses (think Russian for less cost) they're all going to be about the same size.

If you look at this chart you can see how close most slr lenses are.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Generally speaking, legacy lenses made for rangefinder cameras will require "thinner" adapters than lenses made for SLRs. It has to do with the flange to film distance which is obviously less on rangefinder bodies because there's no mirror mechanism.

What the adapter does (besides providing a mount interface) is to place the legacy lens at the correct flange-to-NEXsensor distance which it was originally designed for.

Top Bottom