1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Random Photos

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Phoenix, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Just some samples of the random photos I took recently

DSC00891.

DSC00887.

DSC00867.

2. Anthoney

Anthoney New to TalkEmount

Nov 22, 2011
    Hi Phoenix,
    Great pictures and which camera did you use to took these pictures?
    If you will share some details with these pictures it will be helpful for us to know some details about them. Thanks in advance for any input.

3. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi Anthoney

I'm happy you like the images. All my photos are taken with a Sony NEX-5 with 3rd party lenses. I used a 50mm Rokkor-X via adapter to take these shots, all of them were processed in Lightroom 3. I shot the 1st pic at (I think, I'll have to look at the exif to be sure ;)) ISO 200 f2 1/4000, the second pic ISO 200 f8 1/4000, and the third pic ISO 800 f1.4 1/60.

4. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    Phoenix:

I also purchased my NEX with the intention of using legacy lenses. I ordered some adapters and more are on their way. I wanted to try them out but it is dark in the morning, and dark on the way home, so I could only do a quick shot in our parking lot at work

<a href="http://family.webshots.com/photo/2626768800025874283DAXsyc">[​IMG]"DSC00206"></a>
    Nex-5n, with Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 160 sec F8 ISO:320 (I think)

I also took one at home with one pole lamp, not very much light

<a href="http://family.webshots.com/photo/2175421680025874283qikJHE">[​IMG]"DSC00179"></a>
    Nex-5n, with Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 1/60 sec handheld wide open 1.4 ISO: 2000

bob

5. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi Bob

While not having owned one I have always heard that the Planar 50 1.4 is one very sharp lens, based on your 2 photos, looks like what I heard about it was true. At F8 I can understand the sharpness but on the second photo wide open at 1.4 it doesnt lose any of the sharpness at all (the camera engravings), you just get a shallower DOF and (imho) a pleasant bokeh.

I personally like using 50mm lenses as portrait lenses, due to the NEX's crop a 50mm translates to a 75mm (I love using this focal for portraiture, I know some people prefer a longer focal but that's just me) and there are a lot of affordable super fast (1.4) 50mm legacy lenses in the market.

Which other legacy lenses are you planning to use for the NEX?

Looks like we'll be expecting a lot from you ;)

6. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    Legacy lenses

Phoenix:

I also have a Zeiss Distagon 25mm 2.5 which is working out great for video in C/Y mount

I used to collect cameras and have lots of Ai and AiS Nikkor lenses, also M6 with a few Leica LM lenses. I recently came across a kit which included Pentax Spotmatic with SMC 28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, and 200 F4 and I also have the M42 --> NEX adapter.

My LM adapter isn't here yet. I also have lots of LTM lenses as I used to collect Leica Screw mount cameras. Of course I also have adapters for my Canon T2i so all these lenses can be used with both systems. I forgot I had a Voightlander 21mm Color Skopar, it mounts fine but upside down. You have to turn the camera around as the aperature scale is on the "base" of the NEX rather than on the top, and the focus lever is on top, rather than on the bottom as on Leicas so it takes a bit of getting used to.

bob

7. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Thats a really good collection of wonderfully interesting and truly drool worthy lenses! Its a bit of a pity about the mount orientation of the 21mm Color Skopar, but I'm sure you will get good images out of it.

We're looking forward to the images you post from your lenses :)

8. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    Phoenix:

My LM-->NEX adapter arrived yesterday and I remembered that I had a LTM Nikkor 3.5cm 2.5 screw mount lens. I also have Leica LTM to M adapters so I snapped it on but there is a problem with the infinity lock pin hitting the backplate so you have to unscrew the adapter so that the pin can clear the "cam". so disappointing as that is a great lens and small too.

My 21mm Voightlander color-skopar is LTM so I put it on the LTM-->M adapter and then used the LM --> NEX and now the lens mounts in the correct orientation with the aperature ring and DOF scale on top of the lens. There is no infinity lock on this lens so now it fits perfectly, plus the focus lever is on the bottom where it should be. I am a bit disappointed in the wide open low light shots, noticeably not as good as the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (wide open). I've also got a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 LTM somewhere and I will test it against the SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 M42

I also tested my Nikkor 105mm 2.5 Ai using the Ai--> NEX adapter and it is awesome, very sharp wide open, perhaps very close to my Leica 90mm 2.8 Elmar, all shot wide open. I also have 35mm 1.4 Summilux and summicrons in my stash but it is too dark on weekdays to test them out.

Once I figure out which primes I am going to use in my KIT, then I will be off to snap some photos.

happy shooting
    bob

9. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Happy shooting sounds about right :) , again that's a nifty cache of lenses you got there specially the "lux" and there "cron" at 1.4 I'd take it shooting even at night (my motto is if you can't do it at 1.4 wont be able to do it at all and maybe just be able to at .095 IF available, access to one is an achievement in its own)

I love shooting in low light conditions and imho this is where the NEX really shines, one can either bump up the ISO and still get useable shots (something the NEX is renowned for), or alternatively use the "anti motion blur" or the "hand held twilight" shoot modes.

We're all looking forward to your images. (no pressure though ;))

DSC02561.

DSC02695.

Here are just 2 random shots I took when me and my friend were just chilling out at my place.

Both photos are JPG straight out of the camera without any pp done, the first photo was shot at 1.2 and the second at 1.4

10. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    Wow... that ZP 50 1.4 is great... Very good sharpness at the camera engravings... And nice colour... Its a pity the framing with the below cut...

11. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    these were the first pictures taken with the nex5n

12. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I love that photo of the Coke dispenser

13. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Looks like the bull's about to trample you. Not a bad metaphor for the current state of the financial world. Maybe, if they were being more honest they would put the bull away for a while and put a bear out there instead.

14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    would be a good idea, or a Tyrannosaurus rex...lol