1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rainy landscape in B&W infrared effect

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Bolampau, May 3, 2012.

1. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Despite the weather being rainy all day today, I decided to go for a walk and try out my new Zeiss 25mm lens. :)
    Copied below is a shot I took very quickly coz I didn't want the camera gear to get wet.

Details: NEX 7, 24mm F1.8 lens
    ISO 100, F8 @ 1/60th.

Then, in Lightroom, I converted the shot using the B&W infrared preset and it has given the photo a nice grainy texture.

Rainy (1 of 1).

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

Cheers,
    Paul
    P.S. I love the new lens, it's brilliant!

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice! I really like that field contrasted by a dark cloud sky - gives so much drama together. That power structure at the middle is almost ominous like a lightning rod that's gonna get a strike very soon.

Man, has it stopped raining there yet? Maybe Sony should release a waterproof NEX - UK Edition... :)

Congrats on that beaut lens btw, 24mm is a great focal length for a street snap prime for the NEX imho. What's the minimum focus distance on the Zeiss?

3. carnage0

carnage0 New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2012
    weatherproofing the nex would be a definite advantage, much like the canon 7d...

it is needed! the photo strikes a strong atmosphere

but to be honest, i confess, i love pylons.. try wandering underneath one, and point up ;)

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I ... um... never mind

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like breaking the rule of thirds on this shot. If the left and right of the the tower had no buildings on either side, this would be perfect symmetry and I'd keep it as you have it.

But since it didn't, I'm torn about changing the crop. Can't decide whether to keep the sky or the field. Put the tower on the left, or the right.

You know what. Keep it as it is. It's a powerful sky sky and lovely field. Why not let the two battle it out on equal grounds? :)

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Same here :)

It's one of those shots where lifting or lowering the horizon doesn't seem to make any difference. Moving the tower to the left or the right has minimal effect as well. It's symmetrical enough to break the rule of thirds and leave it as it is, but the conundrum that presents is 'what's the subject?' The tower, the field, or the sky?

Perhaps the subject is neither of those, but rather 'the location' itself which encompasses all three or 'the mood' it brings. It's one of those compositions that works and doesn't work at the same time, depending on the context the viewer perceives. Best left as it is, I think too - as you concluded.

6. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The B&W infrared preset conversion in Lightroom worked very well, Paul. The field really stands out, great contrast balance. Nice work.

(The Zeiss 24mm is soooo tempting, but I decided to get myself an EVF for my 5N first. The glarey LCD screen back and my poor eye sight is giving me mis-judged and mis-timed shots. Dioptrick needs a diopter, lol!!)

7. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, you're right about the conflicting composition i.e. rule of thirds.
    Interestingly, it was taken very, very quickly (due to the rain) and that was the way I saw the shot, rightly or wrongly!
    Cheers,
    Paul