• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Rabbits, Deer and other Ferocious Forest Critters

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
silly wabbit.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    600mm    f/6.3    1/640s    ISO 200

Did a quick search and didn't spot a repository for rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and the like, ergo this post.

This guy/gal is a local. It's been living under a neighborhood bush since the spring and I always manage to spot him eating his breakfast in the mornings on my way home from work. There are Carl Sagan-like billions and billions of acres of natural habitat in this state but this guy chooses to live under a bush...in a park. At least he makes it easy to take his picture. I shot this from my driver's side window this morning. Never even had to get out of the car. Looking forward to getting some snow shots of him this winter... while I have the car heater on.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Super picture.

Do you think he could be an escaped/lost/abandoned pet? I seem to remember, from my long-lost rural youth, that rabbits live in burrows, not under bushes. And that they are not loners.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
Super picture.

Do you think he could be an escaped/lost/abandoned pet? I seem to remember, from my long-lost rural youth, that rabbits live in burrows, not under bushes. And that they are not loners.
He's definitely a wild rabbit. These rabbits apparently don't do well as pets. The mortality rate for them being kept as pets is astronomical. I once came upon a nest of about a dozen (of these type) rabbits in a depression in the ground while I was mowing the lawn. The mother was nowhere in sight and that evening was forecast to be quite cold. I tried doing a little research to see what I should do. I wasn't sure if I should bring them inside, what do they eat, and on and on. Every source I read strongly advised against it because the chance of any of them surviving my good intentions was quite low.

Fortunately the mother had initially made camp with the nest almost next to the wall of my home and directly under the dryer vent. So instead of bringing them inside I kept the dryer running all night so the warm dryer air would hopefully keep them from getting hypothermic or worse. The following morning the mother showed up and carried each of them one by one to a new location. So that all worked out.

As for the bush. This guy lives under the bush in a burrow in the ground, so you're right. I guess it's just his version of living on a tree lined street in the city.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
We have loads of them in our neighborhood. They enjoy the clover in our lawn and often sit under the trees in the backyard. This particular species is in good shape.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Cottontails in town, jackrabbits in the country. Plenty of coyotes (you can make money shooting them), and the rare big cat, but I think the biggest predators here are probably birds of prey - hawks, eagles, owls, etc.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular

Latest threads

Top Bottom