QX1

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by danny4744, Jan 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. danny4744

danny4744 TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 7, 2015
    Daniel
    Hey, is anybody out there shooting with a sony QX1 on the street? My thought is this would be the perfect setup for this genre. It is capable of being fired without interaction from your smartphone. If you dial in the settings for your lighting situation, put the phone away, then it just looks like you're carrying a lens. I'm thinking of trying one with the sigma 19mm and sony 10-18. What's up people, is anyone using this thing? This would be the ultimate weapon if they made it with the a7rii sensor! I'm just concerned that they aren't selling many of them, the possibilities of this design are significant

Sony QX1 Mirrorless Lens-Style Digital Camera ILCE-QX1 B&H Photo

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I haven't used one. But I'm not sure that I can get images that I like unless I can see what I'm photographing. So I'd always want to be looking at my phone's screen while shooting. I agree that having the A7RII's sensor in a box that size would be mind bending. But if I'm going to be hanging a Sony 10-18 off the end of some device, I think I'd rather be hanging it off the end of an A6000 than a QX1 and my iPhone.

But I'm open to being convinced otherwise. A new gadget? Sign me up! :thumbup:

3. danny4744

danny4744 TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 7, 2015
    Daniel
    With a wide lens like that, I would be more concerned with getting shots of interesting subjects quickly. I think you'd lose that looking through a viewfinder lining things up; I have an Olympus xa rangefinder that I shoot that way but it's 35mm. I think you would have a little more wiggle room in framing with a wide.

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Could always rent one and give it a go for a weekend.

5. cabriotec

cabriotec New to TalkEmount

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    Hallo everybody,this is my first post. I have a QX1 and I'm very happy with it. As with everything in this would it has its positive and negative sides. Pairing up with the the phone is the negative side because it takes so long and sometimes not at all. The positive side is everything else. I want to write my view of this camera and using it, but it seems there is very little interest in the web in general, even this thread is from 2016! If others want to read about me using these "lens style cameras" I'll carry on. If not then I'll conclude that this product really has died.

Many regards

Chris Clark

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’m sure there are plenty of people here who would be interested in reading about your experiences (and seeing some images taken) with this camera, Chris.

And welcome to the forum!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome!
    I think it's always beneficial to have more information shared as it will be found by those who will be searching for it. And this is a good place to post such relevant experiences.
    If you enjoy using your system, and you can produce memorable images for you, then it's worth posting. It's a Sony after all.

I've always thought this was a clever design but very niche.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such a fascinating idea, but if I am gonna haul around a big lens and adapter already I would just take out my regular camera body.

But for those who don't or won't buy a regular camera body, it is an interesting option.

9. cabriotec

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    Thanks very much for the warm welcome.Please excuse me for the delayed reply, I usually think for a while before posting a reply to make sure I get it all in with the minimum text(I don't want to bore anybody!) I started using a Minolta 9000 just after it came out and slowly added to the equipment when I could. Later I bought a Dynax 9 with vertical grip off the bay and this is a very good and heavy camera. Older things get cheaper as technology moves on and I stayed with film until 2014. Since digital is the only way to go on a long time basis I looked in the market for a camera with good IQ. As the Nikon 800e? came out with no low pass filter for more image quality I was thinking that this was the way to go. But why not stay with Sony since I had quite an investment in good old Minolta stuff? Well it seemed to me that until then Sony was always coming in as a poor 3rd in the race with Canikon. Then I found the QX100 somewhere in the media world and thought the idea was great. I bought one off the bay and really enjoyed using it. Unfortunately the short end is too long and the long end... Because of this I shot mostly video at this time (for the first time). Most of my pictures until then were either with the 14mm f3,5 Sigma or the long end of my 70-210 beercan. At that time I thought it would be great if Sony came out with a "System camera" upon this basis. All of a sudden my dream came true and the QX1 appeared on the market. I've absolutely nothing against big/heavy cameras (as you can imagine) but the moment you start pointing the Dynax-beercan duo in somebodies direction they know what the story is! Some are intimidated, others annoyed and all change their expressions when they expect to be photographed.
    I'll carry on in a day or two if you want

Many regards

Chris Clark

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Welcome to Talkemount Chris :Welcome:

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Please do, Chris. I bet I’m not alone in liking these “how I got here” threads.

I was intrigued by the QX1 when it was announced. But it seemed like something that I’d leave behind too often. And then it would just gather dust on a shelf.

So what makes you pick it up when you’re going out?

12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    A belated welcome to you, Chris. I also would like to hear more about your experience with this camera and your digital imaging journey.

13. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    There are some total camera nerds here who love hearing about oddball cameras :blush:. Welcome to the group and if you have pics to post, feel free.

14. cabriotec

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    Thanks again for the very positive replies. As I mentioned the major part of my photography with film was portraits (and a few group shots) at birthday parties (friends&relatives) and similar events, holidays and documenting our building progress. Even in large rooms you need an ultra wide to get it all in. I also have a compact camera collection (until 1970s mostly half frames),Pen F collection, Russian LTM collection +SLR and a Canon 7 with the Dream Lens. I was also given a Canon AE1 with lenses. Quite a lot of the compacts need a CLA.
    Back to the QX1. The great thing about this is that you can take pictures so unobtrusively that almost nobody notices what you are doing. You can be talking to someone (1 to 1) with of course the camera in your hand and being able to see the smart phone (just lying on the table?) and take a picture. They do not always realize that you've just taken a picture of them. Taking pictures of animals, insects,flowers and anything else that is not normally at eye level +- is a lot easier when you don't have to hold the camera to your eye. Sometimes with the QX100 on a tripod I hold it up high to get over the heads of the crowd. The higher position enables another (better?) perspective. There are many situations where the separation of the viewfinder from the lens (picture taking part) is very advantageous. My neighbor has a 6000 and we want to take a few pictures of me in action to give you a better picture of what is possible. I do appreciate that looking through the viewfinder of a camera helps you to concentrate on getting the picture right but that also restricts the positions that a camera can be in. Sometimes the perspective is better (more interesting?) when the camera is not on your eye.
    I feel I must add that the E mount is something of a revolution for me. Now I can use all my other lenses for "modern photography". I bought the Canon 7 with "Dream Lens" in '99 for 470DM (ebay) because I thought it looked great. Even though using it is difficult (focus calibration) I never regretted it. Now its possible to use it on Digital using an adapter (it should arrive in the next couple weeks). Nowadays this lens starts at about $1500. Pictures will be posted when I get that far.

Many regards

Chris Clark

• Like Like x 3
  15. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sounds cool. I do prefer and use an EVF most of the time, but sometimes use the articulating LCD for similar purposes. For example, setting the camera down low twin-reflex-like instead of lying on the ground, or high up for overhead perspective. Another thing is to use a smartphone to control the camera, which is super handy when trying to photograph something skittish like feeding birds, just add a tripod and the smartphone. The QX1 would be stealthier for any of these of course, and might even let you get the QX1 past security at a concert - which would be a great place to use it, I imagine.

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What this thread needs is some images you got with that QX1. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. cabriotec

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    Hallo everybody, here are a couple of pictures of me in action (taken by Juergen with his a6000 and my 14mm 3,5), nothing spectacular. DSC00233.JPG DSC00234.JPG DSC00235.JPG
    Here are a few of the unaware subjects. DSC01121.JPG DSC01124.JPG
    The lens is a 85mm 1,4 G from Minolta shot wide open and sometimes stopped down to f2. DSC01132.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  18. cabriotec

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    Here are a couple of close ups. DSC01159.JPG
    The Canon7 DSC01206.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  19. cabriotec

Jan 11, 2018
    Germany
    Christopher Clark
    I seem to have had a problem with the upload!! Here are couple more close ups with the 100 2,8 Macro. DSC01207.JPG DSC01208.JPG

• Like Like x 4