• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Quick video settings for Facebook

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have an A7iii and an A6600 and would like to use either of these cameras to shoot quick video snippets for Facebook publishing. I can get relatively nice video but, the files are very large even for a 15-20 second video snippet.

How can I set either camera so that I can publish the results on Facebook without converting the format or size of files.

What I am actually saying is "How can I set up either camera so the resulting files will be like the files I get from my IPhone 11?"
Leo Video_3637.JPG

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I don't have an iPhone 11 so no help here.
I do know my little Canon SD1000's do nice videos with smallish size files shooting at 720i (I think that's the setting they use).

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Video is a confusing topic, to me anyway. Just be aware reduced file sizes in theory are likely to also reduce quality - no such thing as a free lunch as they say. But for most purposes you may not notice (or care). I only know enough about video to note a couple of things.

The first thing is File Format. On my A7Riii, the choices are XAVC S 4K, XAVC S HD, and AVCHD. This affects the resolution of the video file. You probably don't need 4K for Facebook, nor would most viewers even notice, and avoiding it will result in a smaller file. I would probably choose XAVC S HD for possibly better IQ over AVCHD (newer format) but the latter might save a little more space. I ran a very quick and short test and going from 4K to HD saved about 20% of the file size.

The other thing I would look at is Record Setting (right under File Format for me). There are two parts to this - number of frames per second and the bit rate. So 60p 25M means 60 (progressive) frames per second at 25 megabits per second. I would stick to 30p or 60p, 24p is usually used for the "cinema look" unless you actually want that. I think 30p 25M is going to a reasonable middle ground.

I would give those a try and see what you think.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran

Latest posts

Top Bottom