1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Quick Question: Gary Friedman's or David Busch's A6000 Book?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Hawkman, Oct 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay, I'm settling in to using my new a6000 and realizing there is still a lot to learn for me both on the many features of the camera (over and above my previous a3000) and on general/advanced photography practices and techniques. So... I've been considering doing the academic thing and picking up a book (eBook, to be precise) on how to make the best use of this camera.

There seem to be two major books on the a6000, Gary Friedman's and David Busch's. (Sorry about the iBooks links rather than Amazon links, but Amazon doesn't seem to have a Kindle version of David Busch's and there are several negative reviews on Gary Friedman's re: the Kindle version formatting, etc.) So, I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these books and recommendations as to which might be a better choice for someone not entirely new to photography but needing to learn A LOT.

I have David Busch's book on the a3000, and while I have found it useful, I did note some errors that would seem to come from copying material over from other previous E-mount cameras. Such copy-and-paste content concerns me as it seems to be a recurring source of negative comments on both books. For that reason, I am somewhat leaning toward Gary Friedman's book at the moment (since copying material from his older books won't really affect me as much since I do not have any of his earlier works, unlike with David Busch).

Any input or thoughts are welcome and much appreciated. Thank you all once again!

2. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    I don't have an A6000 but I got the Friedman books for both my NEX-7 and A77ii and highly recommend his books.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    For many years, the first thing I have done when I got a new Minolta / Sony camera was to get Gary's book on it. I have always felt that I have received full value for my money. There has been some text carried over from one book to another, but that has been material on photo technique - which is pretty universal.

I have never bought any of David Busch's books, so I am not really qualified to comment on them. I did look at one of them a few years ago, and did not bother to buy it, so I have not read any of his books in depth.

- Tom -

4. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I bough the GF book on the A7 and A7r and found it accurate and extremely helpful, i found out things on settings and the meanings of obscure names very easily with its help. Of course it was then a new book for a new product so no cut and paste.
    just my penny's worth hope it helps/