1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Quick "NIK Color" observation

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fractal, Mar 26, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Spent some time yesterday playing around with my new Nik software.

I decided to edit a photo I previously edited just in LR.

Here is the original RAW image...

i-f6Fb5jj-X2.

Here is how I edited this image only using LR.

21805435961_ad59c072b8_h. looking up
    by Chris Dikos, on Flickr

and here is taking the RAW image, applying a few filters in NIK Color Effects PRO then making a few small adjustments in LR...

i-ZcdpFm4-X3.

A few observations;

Using the NIK Color Effects at first was a bit exciting. The various filters are an amazingly easy way to good a quick dynamic look for you files. I had fun playing around and really just scratched the surface.
    The downside I observed was noticeable IQ degrading in the file as you applied filters; especially in the shadows. In the SSE image I could not "settle" for the final result from Color Effects because of color bleeding in the shadows. However, to get rid of the color bleeding I had to settle from some CA in the bottom left trees. I think detail in the shadows also suffered - doesn't look nearly as "clean". I'm anxious to see how the other programs work for me.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The Nik plugins give you the option to mask out (critical) areas with adjustable, negative control points. Their U-Point technology is pretty smart; you can find some good tutes on youtube.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a great image! I like the Nik Collection treatment :)

4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am not wild on the Nik treatment and prefer the LR rendition. Essentially I agree with the op that the filters have deteriorated the image quality.

1) There is a very large halo around the central ball structure.
    2) If you look carefully you can also see 'small halos' along other fairly high contrast lines in the image

But I wouldnt blame Nik - this is likely the result of a 'first play' with a new software. The great thing about Nik is that there are plenty of sliders to play with to avoid these problems and of course there is the opacity slider

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Definitely part "new toy, let's see what she's got" syndrome.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016