Quick "NIK Color" observation

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fractal, Mar 26, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Spent some time yesterday playing around with my new Nik software.

I decided to edit a photo I previously edited just in LR.

Here is the original RAW image...

i-f6Fb5jj-X2.

Here is how I edited this image only using LR.

21805435961_ad59c072b8_h. looking up by Chris Dikos, on Flickr

and here is taking the RAW image, applying a few filters in NIK Color Effects PRO then making a few small adjustments in LR...

i-ZcdpFm4-X3.

A few observations;

Using the NIK Color Effects at first was a bit exciting. The various filters are an amazingly easy way to good a quick dynamic look for you files. I had fun playing around and really just scratched the surface.
    The downside I observed was noticeable IQ degrading in the file as you applied filters; especially in the shadows. In the SSE image I could not "settle" for the final result from Color Effects because of color bleeding in the shadows. However, to get rid of the color bleeding I had to settle from some CA in the bottom left trees. I think detail in the shadows also suffered - doesn't look nearly as "clean". I'm anxious to see how the other programs work for me.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The Nik plugins give you the option to mask out (critical) areas with adjustable, negative control points. Their U-Point technology is pretty smart; you can find some good tutes on youtube.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a great image! I like the Nik Collection treatment :)

4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am not wild on the Nik treatment and prefer the LR rendition. Essentially I agree with the op that the filters have deteriorated the image quality.

1) There is a very large halo around the central ball structure.
    2) If you look carefully you can also see 'small halos' along other fairly high contrast lines in the image

But I wouldnt blame Nik - this is likely the result of a 'first play' with a new software. The great thing about Nik is that there are plenty of sliders to play with to avoid these problems and of course there is the opacity slider

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Definitely part "new toy, let's see what she's got" syndrome.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016