1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick Lens test - MD 50 f2, MD 45 f2, AR 40 f1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by HabsFan, Jul 26, 2013.

1. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I posted in another thread the other day that I had tested some of my legacy lenses against each other. Here are some Center and Corner crops for the Minolta MD 50mm f2, MD 45mm f2, Konica AR 40 and the Sony 18-55 Kit. Please be easy on me and take this test with a grain of salt. I tried to equalize the different focal lengths by moving the tripod closer but as you can see, the crops are slightly different. I'd take the corner crops less seriously as there is no guarantee i had everything lined up perfect. Center crops are not in the exact center but are in the central area. The composite of images is a Lightroom hack for me so that is why on bottom row there are 2 random Sony kit images as placeholders (please ignore those 2 images). There is purple in the coaster at the edge of the lettering so this is not fringing when the lenses are stopped down.

My quick conclusions for center crops (from looking on screen in Lightroom using the A/B function). Wide open, Konica AR is the softest of the bunch. It has a lot of fringing going on in the high contrast areas. I would say 1.8 is useful in a pinch or when you want a bit of a soft focus effect. Also, this lens is actually around a 42-43mm. I matched the kit lens focal length to this lens and it read 43mm in the EXIF. Other have mentioned this in the past. It sharpens up nicely at 2.8. It only has full stops click but you can use settings in between clicks but you won't have an exact f number.

Minolta MD 50mm looks like the sharpest wide open. Seems to be a bit lower contrast than the other when stopped down. Does not sharpen up a whole lot stopping down. MD 45 is similar to the MD 50, maybe a bit more contrast. Kits lens is decent, holds up OK at this focal length (43mm) at 5.6. I would say from 2.8 on, the Konica shows more detail (look at the texture in the white areas of the letters).

MD 45 seems to be the best in the corners wide open and they are all pretty similar stopped down.

Centers:
    CentreComp3.

Corners:
    CornerComp.

Full Image sample:
    AR_1.8_f8.

2. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Thanks for these! I have the MD 50 f/2 and I love it. Seems pretty sharp all around.

3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these lenses given the price. I usually don't do tests like this, but since I had a bunch, i figured it was worthwhile. I'll probably keep the Konica because it's the smallest and mechanically, it feels better. My 50mm MD has a dent in the filter ring and the focus is a little stiff too. Image quality it's really splitting hairs here.

4. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    That's the beauty of legacy lenses... the price is right. My MD 50mm f/2 cost me all of $25 and it's pristine. The bokeh I get from it looks better than my 16-50 kit lens as well. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    TFS - like your test subject! :)