1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quick camera bag review: The Ape Case Roller Backpack ACPRO3500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonathanF2, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    * crossposted on Nikon Cafe!

My daughter started school late August and she asked if she could get a roller backpack for school, because she didn't like carrying it on her back. We bought one for her and after checking it out, I told myself I need to get a roller bag for my camera gear! :D 

I did some internet browsing and most roller cases with ample size are in the $200 to $300 USD range. I'm a bit partial to Lowepro bags, but after doing more research I found a brand Ape Case that makes reasonably priced roller bags. I found their ACPRO3500 model was perfectly sized as an airport sized backpack/roller that can fit a 300mm 2.8 if need be! So I started doing price searches on the internet and found a like-new bag listed on Amazon Prime for $89!

I ordered via Prime with two day shipping. I received it yesterday and it looked practically brand new! The bag appears sturdy with lots of buckles and adjustable straps. It's well padded and comes with a weather proof cover. The interior space has ample storage to fit: two camera bodies, laptop, lenses, chargers, etc. It has accommodations to fit a tripod or monopod on the outside of the bag. There are mesh pockets for water bottles or snacks on either side. It's also just small enough to fit underneath the stowaway space on an airplane. The roller wheels look well made and should work well rolling it through the airport and other flat spaces. Though I'd probably carry it on my back walking through rough terrain to preserve the wheels and axles, despite looking fairly sturdy.

Unfortunately there are no more bags listed for $89 on Amazon, but for that price I feel I got an incredible deal! Anyways, if anyone is interested in taking weight off their back, I'd highly recommend getting this camera bag. The lowest retail new I've seen is $199 from Focus Camera on either Amazon or Ebay if someone wants to get one! ;) 

https://www.amazon.com/Ape-Case-Hig...pID=41vlKGzOXdL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    A great bag. I have a very similar bag but it's a different brand. I bought it at FRY'S Electronics. I find it very useful. I went back to buy another one and it had sold out, as is the case on their website, too. I paid a bit less than you did but $89 is a fair price for a good product.

I also have a Lowepro and it's great. I paid a bit more than $100 for it but it's worth is as it's waterproof as long as it's all zippered and fastened up. I have a half-dozen Lowepro bags, the oldest of which I've had for 30 years. They have about all the bases covered and their prices are fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    (Admittedly being lazy here) I have a Lowepro bag for my D7000, but it's not a backpack style of bag. I'd like a backpack style for taking a zoom (70-210 say) and a couple of spare primes with me.
    What would you recommend?
    Doesn't necessarily have to accommodate a body, although taking the Nex-7 along for the ride wouldn't cost me much weight wise.

4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I like having two bags, one for transportation and another for day outings. For a lightweight body like the NEX-7 I'm partial to sling style bags like the Lowepro Passport Sling. If I'm traveling really light, like one camera and lens, I'll go more incognito with my Trader Joe's canvas grocery bag and a scarf inside it to give it padding! :D 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.