Questions about the NEX-6...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Apr 1, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello all...so I'm pretty much decided on a NEX-6 for my travel camera...I have a few questions and will probably have more in the coming weeks/months, so I thought I'd ask you fine folk!

1: Can you turn off that damn array of "+"s (points for the PDAF) in the middle of the EVF/LCD? (This is what I'm talking about...image borrowed from dpreview):

[​IMG]

2: Can you assign a function to the big button in the middle of the rear dial?

Thank you!!

2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    1) Yes, you can turn off the array, but that also turns off the phase-detection autofocus. If you're happy with contrast-detection autofocus, then it's not a problem.

2) The button in the center of the control wheel is a "soft key," as it operates differently in different contexts. It is not, however, a customisable key.

The 6 is an outstanding camera. I think you will like it.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have read somewhere (can't remember where now) that turning off the array display does not turn off phase detect autofocus, merely the annoying display.

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have it off and don't notice any difference in focusing speed,or lack of it in low light conditions,
    just focus on border of something with contrast ,it could even be the pupil of an eye and the white

5. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks guys! This is good news...I definitely don't want to disable PDAF, but that array bothers the hell out of me haha

Another question: Can you choose which display options the "DISP" toggles through? Basically, I want to set it up so I only have TWO options...1 normal display (that shows the vitals) and then the same but with the level. But I don't want to have to toggle through the 5 different ones EVERY time I want to turn the level on...is it possible to disable the display options I'm not interested in?

6. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Another one:

If I set it up to disable the LCD during shooting...does the EVF still turn on/off automatically when it senses that my eye is there? Or is it on constantly?

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yes. Menu -> Camera -> DISP Button (Monitor) -> Check or uncheck the items to your needs.

Menu -> Setup -> FINDER/LCD Setting -> Viewfinder; in that case the viewfinder only lights up when the sensor detects your eye (or any other body part :(). Maybe I'm missing a setting where you can have the EVF set to constantly on. I always use the Auto setting, I just tried it set to Viewfinder and found it mega-annoying that I couldn't see if the camera was on or off.

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for that tip, Ad. I had missed that option. Now, if I could only combine several of those options into one, such as combine the histogram with the level, I'd be a happy camper.

Well, a little happier, anyway. :p

9. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks, Ad!

That's great news, I really only want to use the DISP button to enable/disable the level! I wish you could manually turn the EVF off. Thankfully the On/Off button of the 6 is in a very, very intuitive position, but for the past 8 years, I've been shooting with DSLRs, and I never turn them off...I just let them go into standby after 1 minute of inactivity. Can you do that with the NEX? And then just wake it up with a half press of the shutter button?

Another question: I notice that the PDAF are is much smaller than the CDAF...does this mean that the focus is only truly hybrid if you're inside the PDAF rectangle and on the edges of the frame it's CDAF only?

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't have a lens with PDAF, so I can't answer your first question. Concerning standby, you can set standby time anywhere between 10 s and 30 minutes (I think) and indeed the camera can be woken up by half-pressing the shutter button.

11. kernowbhoy

kernowbhoy New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2012
    Cornwall, UK
    Andy
    This very interesting concerning the PDAF. But can someone tell us for certain whether the PDAF is disabled or no when the display is switched off ?
    Best regards,
    Andy

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No Andy, it is not disabled. I found the original thread on DPReview which had answered the question for me. The subject was brought up again here in this thread.

13. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks! That's perfect...that's exactly what I want. I want to be able to use PDAF without that display taking over half of the bloody screen! :D

14. kernowbhoy

kernowbhoy New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2012
    Cornwall, UK
    Andy
    Yes, thanks. I found some info on pdreview. But it seems you can only use PDAF at f6.3 or less.

15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    But less in this case means 'bigger aperture than 6.3' - kinda confusing, I know.

16. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    ^^^ Agreed, that wording confused me a little at first as well, but I figured a lot of focus things (ie: cross-type on a DSLR) only work with LARGE apertures, I figured they meant anything bigger than 6.3...