Questions about old Minolta lenses and E-Mount weight handling.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ErickSaint, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Score of the week, well maybe.

Today I picked up a Minolta X-370 with a 50mm 1.7, and a Tele-Rokkor 200mm 3.5, from a coworker. For the princely sum of $25 USD. Everything in excellent condition.

I already have a 50mm Rokkor 1.7 that I'm pretty happy with. This 50 I'm not familiar with. There is a plastic "switch" to lock the lens as f22, but it doesn't seem to do anything more. What is this for? Just to lock it at f22? Cant say I have ever seen this before, but most of the lenses I'm drawn to these days are way before my time anyway.

The next question. How much weight cant he 5N mount handle? The other lens is a 200mm f3.5 Tele-Rokkor-QF. This thing is beefy, built in sliding shade. All metal, only plastic is the rear cover. Weighs in on the kitchen scale at about 1 pound 10 ounces. Didn't get a front cover, but came with a pouch. Also no covers for the 50 either, but the camera came with the old school leather case to protect the whole package.

So can the nex handle that lens on a tripod, without finding some type of collar? It's almost impossible for me to get a decent shot hand held.

2. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick

Attached Files:

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There are NEX adapters that have the tripod mount on the adapter itself. I use Rainbow Imaging adapters on my Minolta MD 70-210mm f/4 and my Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 that are configured that way. Both are dirt cheap, work well, and remove any insecurity about damaging the camera's lens mount.

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I'm curious too if anyone knows the actual weight it can safely handle. Only one lens I have at the moment would I not use mounted on a tripod due to weight and that's my Nikon 70-300. The rest I'm not too worried about, well, just one and that's my 90mm...it's slightly heavy but not enough the worry about. The rest of my lenses are fairly light. Eventually I'd like to get a 135mm and maybe a 200mm and even a 300mm which I'm sure weights a ton.

5. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Yeah I have a Rainbow MD adapter I currently use, was just trying to be cheap and not have to buy another one. I also have a Fotga MD-NEX I got with a lens on ebay, so really the last thing I need is another adapter.

6. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Dang. I was just looking closer at the 200, I can actually flex it back and forth in the middle. Like something is loose under the focus barrel. Pretty sure this isn't normal. Maybe that's why I cant get a very good shot handheld.

7. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    No kidding. I have three now...MD-NEX, Nikon-NEX, and today I got a PEN F-NEX...lol

8. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    LOL. I was only referring to my MD adapters. Ordering a Pentax PK, this weekend. Maybe an Canon FD sooner or later.

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I find changing lenses so much easier if I have a dedicated adapter for each lens. Fortunately, all my legacy lenses (so far) each require a different adapter.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The biggest lens I feel comfortable (as in don't worry at all) using on my 5n is my MC 100/2.5. I've mounted my Hexanon 200/3.5 on it with out issue but it is a bit tough to hand hold.

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like your new avatar, Kevin. It looks very "lice." :rofl:

12. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    It's definitely a bear to go freehand. But that strange flex/looseness bugs me. I'm going to see if there are any repair guides for the Rokkors.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well played sir. :bravo-009:

14. zapatista

zapatista TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Denver, CO (USA)
    Mike
    I don't have a 200mm mc/md, but use a 300mm f4.5 ( the later variant without tripod) which is hand-holdable (depends on the hands) at about 2 pounds. I have a 200mm f3.5 Hexanon also, and it's heavier than the 300mm f4.5 (bigger too).

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The MD 135mm f3.5 is very light ;)

16. lattiboy

lattiboy TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    I am a huge fan of the Minolta 100mm f/2.5 MD. The MD version has a built in hood and is about 1/2 the weight of the big MC Rokkor.

Another good option is the 105mm f/2.8 Pentax M43. It's a very compact lens and weighs very little.

17. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    The plastic lock at smallest aperture came with the introduction of Minolta cameras with Shutter priority as well as Aperture priority. When setting the camera in S-mode it was important to set the lens att it minimum aperture ore else the camera could not use the apertures smaller than what the aperture ring was set to. This plastic lock is just he secutity thing to prevent the aperture to be accidentaly moved.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    We have seen some pretty monstrous lenses mounted on NEX's with no major issues.

Myself my largest I have tried was a mirror reflex 500mm. There seemed to be no structural issues.

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    To the question: When I bought my NEX-5, my dealer told me the mount can easily handle lenses up to 1 kg without any problem - and I think that sounds about right. It's metal, after all.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I used to mount a 500mm catadioptric (all glass) lens on my NEX cameras and the lens itself weighs around 1.5lbs at the very least which makes the set up quite front heavy.

One way of dealing with this is to carry the entire set up by the lens, this will alleviate the stress of the lens weight from the lens mount. It is also hard to properly compose when shooting a telephoto handheld, depending on your firmware, you can shoot in anti-motion blur mode or handheld twilight (if I remember correctly) as the camera shoots a couple of photos and stitches them together to create one image, this helps a lot with camera shake if you are shooting handheld.

If using a tripod, you can mount the lens on the tripod mount provided the lens or the lens adapter has it, if not you can mount the camera on to the tripod plate length-wise instead of width-wise,

images.

The adapter and lens mount will then sit on the protruding part of the plate and thus putting the stress of the weight on the tripod plate instead of putting it on to the lens mount.

Hope it helps.