questions about monopods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 18, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    Few questions regarding questions.

1. How much your monopod costs and how fast you can deploy it? You are at the park, for example, and you spot deep in the lake some ducks and you are with your zoom lens.. How fast you can be ready to shoot?

2. Are there monopod that can deploy small legs at bottom to make , a temporary tripod, in the sense that I can have to slightly support it. That would be a great pros for my upcoming vacations.

3.The gorillapod with the ballhead would cost me around 50 euros, so I was wondering if I should try to save that costs and go for a good monopod.

I would like to thank you for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Monopods have a very narrow area of use,....mainly events where a tripod is not applicable and where you will not move about too much. Take a look at any event where pro photographers are operating...sometimes every photographer has a monopod...race meetings and other sporting events, airshows and re-enactments etc..... Other times NO pro photographer will be using a monopod.....anywhere that movement is required or the need to re-position...political events, publicity happenings, celebrities etc. At other times EVERY pro operator has a tripod......

........It depends on the situation and much of the phtographers skill is in judging what equipment to use....

The kind of shot you have described with wild life in middle distance and fast movements of subject are NOT good ground for using a monopod.....it hampers the work and is not flexible enough. Your best course is to practice using your zoom lens efficiently and quickly and gettign sharp results in an instant by always being focussed and ready....'practice makes perfect'

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am thinking taking a monopod to my vacations where I will be also shooting to two wedding events (the church would be quite crowdy to have tripods at different positions). I think there are some monopods that can have small legs deployed when needed.
    Do you know any such models?

4. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I have a Manfrotto 682B that has this nice feature. I use it around the house as a light stand for off camera flash too :)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I also have that monopod. But I found the self-standing feature so useless that I finally just chucked the parts for the "tripod" section into the garbage. If there was any breeze at all, that thing wobbled like a drunken sailor. Indoors, on a nice solid surface, it may come in handy, I suppose. Ah well, too late now. :rolleyes:

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I find the monopod really easy to use,although I have never used it on the nex,
    fit the camera to it and nothing is faster or more portable imho,
    sling the monopod over your shoulder ( like a rifle)camera fitted when walking around

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    how much weight this monopod can hold? Nex with some compact lens?

Regards
    Alex

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    You should google the product and then you'll get all the specifications.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    it is not about the specifications.. is more how you feel about the specs being enough for the case of nex and lenses you used. I am asking for the nex users experience here. Specs are never enough.

10. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Well it's rated for 12kg and made for regular DSLR's so of course it can handle a NEX with a compact lens.

I know this because I googled it.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks Colin :)

12. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    It's a pretty hefty monopod, so for that you can use a NEX and medium size lens at least. But as mentioned earlier it doesn't work that well as a tripod. Works well as an indoor light stand in tripod mode though. :)