1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question to SEL1018 owners

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Azon, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi guys,my question is directed towards SEL1018 and SEL1650 owners.
    My preferred wide angle focus distance is 24mm on full frame (so 16mm on my NEX6). I have a SEL1650 and the 16mm distance is not bad, much better than in the SEL1628 that I had before but not shiny:). My question is simple, although the answer might not be: is 16mm from SEL1018 noticeably better than SEL1650's? I don't mean the technical differences; I'm curious about the visual differences in colour fidelity, contrast and sharpness.
    I'd appreciate any comments!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have never done a side-by-side test of the same subject with the two lenses at 16mm. But since that focal length is at the margin for the SELP1650, and is right in the SEL1018's wheelhouse, I think it's a good bet that the SEL1018 would outperform the SELP1650 there. Given the difference in price, I would certainly hope so.

I'd do a real-world test for you, but right now the smoke from the nearby forest fires is making photography impossible (unless you enjoy pictures of yellowish haze).

Oh, and welcome Azon!

3. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks David!
    I also think that 1018 should outer perform 1650. If 16/2.8 was a good lens I would be a much happier and my photo bag and my wallet... But my only hope is 1018...

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey Azon, welcome to the forum. :)

If you can live without AF the Voigtlander 15/4.5 is a pretty spiffy little lens. Cheaper than the 1018, even new. Color shift/vignette can be an issue depending on which NEX you have, but it's fairly easy to correct during processing. Assuming you don't shoot jpgs SOOC with no processing that is. ;)

5. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot!!!
    It could be the best choice for me. I have NEX6 and shoot RAW only and no need AF because the main purpose for this lens is landscapes.
    Will dig a net for samples to decide. The funny thing that long time ago I had this lens on my Bessa..:) But real 15mm is far from my comfort focus range and I sold it.
    Thanks again!

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know if these will be of any help to you, Azon. But I took these two SOOC jpegs this morning. The first is with the SELP1650, and the second is with the SEL1018.

SELP1650.jpg
    SEL1018.jpg

It looks to me like the 10-18 has better color and contrast. But it may not be as sharp here, as these were both shot at f/4, so the 10-18 is wide open and the 16-50 is stopped down a little. If you're interested in downloading the raw files (I shot raw & jpeg), I put them in the Public folder in my Dropbox. Here's the link for the SELP1650:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6608957/16mm/_DSC2046.ARW

and for the SEL1018:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6608957/16mm/_DSC2048.ARW

I'm sorry I couldn't do any better. But the smoke is just terrible here. In fact, as of yesterday afternoon, we have the worst air quality in the entire nation! Today it's supposed to go from "Very Unhealthy" to "Hazardous," and there's no end in sight. The Shakespeare Festival where my wife works has cancelled their outdoor performances, and we may be smoked out until the rains come in the fall. Yippee!!

I seriously need to go on a road trip. :grumpy:

7. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    I have all three lenses. I think I was lucky with my SEL1628 but it's been in the box since I got the SEL1018. I'd say the SELP1650 is a no go at its widest. I'm enjoying my SEL1018 quite a bit. You'll find plenty of photos on my Flickr. I have also recently posted a couple RAWs I took in Yosemite (look for thread titled something like "to HDR or not to HDR") and you'll find lots of useful information at this other thread: https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=2845
    If you can afford it, go for the SEL1018 but, frankly, for an amateur like me it was difficult to justify the price difference with SEL1628 + UWA adapter. I was ready to make the investment and given my shooting style, haven't looked back.

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Gentlemen!
    My apologies for long silence but I had a reason.
    Yesterday after reading the answer from Bimjo I almost decided to get CV 15/4.5 but I don't like additional programs (corner fix) and obligation to open-close diaphragm (prefer camera to work for me:)) but I strongly thought about this choice. But today on my lunch break I browsed the local Kijiji and found an excellent 10-18 in my area... I couldn't resist and couple hours ago became a lucky owner of the lens and ready to join the club!
    David! I'm sorry that you have this smoke in the air. I know how it feels, when I was 11 years old in my city this smog been all the summer, man it was in 1972... Hope you feel better than we that days we didn't have air conditioners...
    Thanks a lot that in such a situation you find time and maid this test, I really appreciate this.
    Jose! Yesterday I found your test album and for about an hour browsed pictures, thanks and well done!
    I will try to take some pictures on weekend and join the 10-18 image samples thread.
    My lens is pretty good, there is some quality drop on the corners but nothing to cry about:)
    Cheers!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Congrats on the new lens. I will pick one up eventually so I can have from 10-210mm covered with AF lenses. ;)

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Score! Now lets see some juicy wide images!

11. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Congratulations Azon on your new lens. A little of topic, wondering if anyone would have input on IQ between the 10-18mm and the cv15mm.

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'd be more than happy to shoot a test for you if somebody was to send me their 10-18 for, say, a month or three. ;)

13. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    O.K. guys, I have some pictures and I'm happy. The lens is even better than I expected. Usually when I needed angle wider than 24 on film cameras I preferred to use fisheye but after couple of shots on 10mm I realized that I love what I see.

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pnHp3cPh19pn7eKx29vlutMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00199.jpg"470" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GpZX0elcwlt4QF7-vNtPANMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00222.jpg"533" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/or4gcEZKR9Og1EhBSWcql9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00231.jpg"526" width="800" /></a>

To be continued!

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice!!! :thumbup:

16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The fun you have is obvious in the pictures, keep 'm coming!

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hehe, once the wide bug bites there's no retreat. Nice shots. :)

18. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks Bimjo and all who replied!
    Indeed, I'd been bitten by this bug many years ago and till now haven't find any kind of antidote:)
    O.K. now I can tell you my personal impressions from couple hundreds shots done in two days with the SEL1018. First things first- I'm not a pixel piper and not a technical geek and used to use simple words instead ones I don't really understand, so sorry for non scientific terms:)
    The lens is a real and high level serious tool for everybody who want maximum from wide angle shooting. It outer performs many WA lenses I used to have by sharpness, color reproduction and surface structure rendering. It has some kind of "transparency and gloss" on images that remind very good prime lenses work.
    And just some last shots from today to confirm my words:

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4Dd2wtimOb8ko79wWuNNd9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00424.jpg"533" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aMHIUHqsTtueQsIGWRy77NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00418.jpg"425" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pd9xgfNQzs1YIyqpYOQvj9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00402.jpg"533" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WtfFKQ3Z-ZrllUvb3NWuT9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">00393.jpg"511" width="800" /></a>

I did processed all of them but with poor raw material I would never be able to get that kind of results.

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, I think that lens is broken. You should send it to me for exhaustive testing to verify. Should only take me 10 or 12 years or so. :biggrin:

Love the sky shots. Ahhhhh.... I may have to reverse the order on my want list and bump the 10-18 above the 80-400 after all.

20. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    You're making a very good case for buying this lens.