Question on MD35-70

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Jun 30, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I just got my second copy of an MD Rokkor 35-70 macro. The first one had a busted aperture ring, so it went back.

This one has all working mechanical parts, but I think the lens is off in some way.

At f/3.5 (wide open) it's garbage (see below). Soft and glowy. Unless this is a 1970 soft-focus portrait lens, I'm assuming it should NOT be behaving this way??

I also see that at f/3.5, there are aperture blades still visible at the edges. Is that normal?

Here it as at f/3.5

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I know its not the best wide open but I don't think the above is normal...
    Is that a crop?
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    no! lol

I actually confirmed with the bay seller that is somehow defective. It won't focus anywhere near infinity at 35mm focal length. Seller is going to take it back.
  4. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Yeah - not good! I have the non-macro version and, while it's not super sharp wide open, it's nowhere near THAT soft. It's actually acceptable! As for the blades showing, I have yet to look in mine to confirm (I'll check it tonight) but I read somewhere that there is actually a "stop" that prevents this from opening wide opening. Someone removed the stopper and turned it into a 2.8 - 3.5. The thought it that it was put in to keep the lens at a constant aperture (instead of 2.8 - 3.5), but I don't know how great it would be at 2.8. It's already a LITTLE soft at 3.5!