• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Question for the smart guys and gals here...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My wife has been asking if I'm going to shoot the moon of late since we've had unusually clear skies at night with the HIGH Pressure dome sitting over us.
I've done it before but with my NEX-7 which is crop sensor. I think I was able to get the equivalent of 900mm full frame by using my 2x extender on my Nikkor 300mm lens.
1.5cropx2x300=900
Is my math correct?
What I want to know is this. If I use my A9 in the Super35mm mode is that going to give me the same crop factor?
My manual says when using APS-C mode the angle of view will be the same as a APS-C size image sensor.
So I take that to mean it would give me the same crop factor.
Correct?

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Yes, but bear in mind you'll also be cropping the megapickles in-camera. That may not be an issue, but if you shot before with a 20MP APS-C and then cropped in post to fill the frame for example, you'll be starting out with fewer this time.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I would think that unless you wanted to print the shot in 16 x 20 it'd be fine. Certainly plenty enough for posting on the net.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Well I would shoot with the NEX-7, but I sold it!
No worries though, I think I'll survive without one.
The Nikon teleconverter doesn't hurt the sharpness as much as the no-name converter I was initially using way back when.
I have an IR shutter release so that's not a problem, nor is shutter vibration when using electronic shutter.

Reactions: WNG

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Well I would shoot with the NEX-7, but I sold it!
No worries though, I think I'll survive without one.
The Nikon teleconverter doesn't hurt the sharpness as much as the no-name converter I was initially using way back when.
I have an IR shutter release so that's not a problem, nor is shutter vibration when using electronic shutter.

Then you're good to go. Forgot about the A9. Was thinking NEX-7.

Latest threads

Top Bottom