• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Question for PhotoShop users...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Dug out my daughters' old HP DV6000 laptop the other day and found it has PhotoShop CS2 Version 9 on it.
It runs Win XP Version 2002 w/Serv Pack 3. It's got an AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile Technology TL-50 1.61 GHz with 999MB of RAM for the processor.

Am I going to get totally frustrated trying to do anything on this computer being as it is pretty old n' slow, hehe, kinda like me?

I have, and use, a watered down version of PhotoDirector for Acer which came loaded on my present computer. It's not a full version but is 'fuller' than the version I had on my previous computer. I think it has the photo stacking ability without needing to be upgraded, but will have to check.

Should I just stick with it or try to learn how to use PS on the laptop?

I know it's all about how much time do I want to spend. Right?
With this Covid-19 stuff seeming to be on the uprise again, I'm more inclined to stay home and play on the computer than go out shooting pictures.

I know, dumb questions. I just thought I'd ask.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
You really have nothing to lose by trying it out on a few of your pics. You'll know pretty quickly if you want to bother.

If I wanted to run Photoshop I'd do the Adobe monthly thing. I do not like subscribing, but it is not a lot of money and I am pretty sure more current versions are going to be so much better. I would be more likely to load Capture One (Express is free), or one of the inexpensive alternatives like Luminar. Or even one of the free ones like Darktable, GIMP, Rawtherapee, etc.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
I would use the laptop. The PS version on that laptop should run fine, make sure you uninstall all other applications and just keep PS on it.
Believe it or not, I started photoshop with version 7, older than CS2 but I can still remember those older versions were faster than the modern versions. Only when making selections with older versions were awful!

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
What I'm thinking of doing is setting up both my camera's with 24mm lenses, focused on the same object only at different angles and firing them simultaneously with my IR remote release. Then trying an image stack to see what it looks like.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
What I'm thinking of doing is setting up both my camera's with 24mm lenses, focused on the same object only at different angles and firing them simultaneously with my IR remote release. Then trying an image stack to see what it looks like.

With 2 cameras at slightly different angles, you're going to suffer parallax issues (depending how far away the subject is).
BTW, that's one very slow laptop, especially with so little RAM, even though it's supposed to be capable on Win XP.
I think given you have a new fast desktop, I'd opt to download GIMP, it's free, had most of Photoshop's features, and if you're going to learn to use new software, might as well be latest available, with a lot of online tutorials, and compatible with modern ARW files.
Don't think the old Photoshop can open ARWs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom