1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for Commlite Canon EOS to Sony E Autofocus adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ilovehatephotography, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I currently have a Commlite AF adapter with a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art lens mounted on my Sony A7. The lens racks from end to end when I turn on the camera OR when I toggle the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel. However, it doesn't autofocus with a half-pressed shutter.

Question: Is the adapter plug and play or is there some in camera settings that I have to adjust to have the adapter play nicely with the body?

Zeiss sent us a Loxia 50mm f/2, so I am doing a comparison test of the Loxia 50mm f2, Zeiss/Sony 55mm f/1.8, and I was hoping to include the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art (since it is one of the best 50mm on the market today). Was hoping to get the AF to work. Unfortunately, it seems Focus Peaking or Focus Magnification is not available with the adapter either! Weird.

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't have the commlite, but I have the fotodiox. They should work the same and mine does focus on half press.

3. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Do you still have focus magnification or focus peaking? Because I can't even switch it to MF in camera so I can activate those two focus aids. The MF, DMF, and AF-C options are grayed out.

[EDIT] So if I switch the lens to MF on the barrel, focus peaking and magnification is available again. Aperture is controllable. Just AF doesnt seem to work.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    When I was using the 17-40 I could use the a7 button or the switch on the barrel to toggle MF/AF. Peaking worked fine. Sounds like you have a dud.

5. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Did you say you had the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art WestOkid?

6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    No the Canon fd

7. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    I just got a Commlite, and mine acts the same, on my NEX 5R.

Did you ever find a fix for this issue?

The only lens it works properly with is my Canon 40mm STM "pancake".