[Question] AF Minolta 35-70 f4 and the Nex

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dsiglin, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
  2. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Yes and No. ;)

You can focus manually, but you cannot set the aperture on the lens itself. (You can always put your NEX in either Manual mode or Aperture Priority mode and set the aperture with the controls on the camera body. You just don't have the ability to set the aperture on the lens itself.)

- Tom -

3. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Wait, the nex doesn't have an inbuilt aperture does it?

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    There's no "inbuilt aperture" in any camera that I know of. The Nex has the means to control aperture electronically on native Sony E-mount lenses, or some other system lenses with an (expensive) adapter.

To use lenses via a reasonably priced adapter you need the ones that have manual aperture control ring. That's most legacy lenses and some modern ones. But not autofocus lenses.

There's a very decent Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro lens which can be used with manual control, but I don't know how it compares optically to the newer "mini beercan".

5. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    That's what I thought but when -et- said "set the aperture with the controls on the camera body" I did a double take. :D

I have the 35-70 3.5 nonMacro and it is wonderfully sharp with good bokeh. The non-macro one has a pretty tepid minimum focal distance though. And it is big and heavy on the Nex, as are all legacy zoom lenses.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If the AF lens has an aperture lever there's probably an adapter that will give you limited aperture control, usually about 5 different settings with no idea what you're actually getting for an aperture beyond wide open, fully stopped down, and 2 or 3 three soemwhere in the middle.

For AF lenses without aperture levers (totally electronic) you're pretty much limited to A mount lenses and the LA-EA1/2 adapters.

Such is life with the NEX. :)

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Sorry about that. You were asking about using the Maxxum AF lens on your NEX, which can only be done with the addition of an adapter. I have the LA-EA2 adapter, which passes the command signals from the NEX body through to the A-mount lenses, and I forgot that there are adapters available for the A-mount lenses that do not pass the command signals to the lens.

If you have one of those adapters, then you will NOT have control over the aperture with THIS lens. (The 35-70 f:4 "mini-beercan" lens has no method of setting the aperture on the lens itself.) If you have the LA-EA2 adapter, you WILL have aperture control using the commands from the camera body.

- Tom -