Question about selling

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Does anyone here have experience selling commercially? I recently had a photo published in a statewide business publication, and a local law office has contacted me about getting a 20"x30" print to hang in their office. I have never sold a photo, and have no clue about pricing, the best source for printing, or framing. Additionally, is 20"x30" a reasonable size for a 12Mp image? I'm going to call them this afternoon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice Tony!

...but no advice, sorry.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If the per-pixel quality is good, this size is no problem. I'd prefer aluminyzed metal prints from Adorama in the USA and Alu-Dibond Fine Art from Whitewall in Europe for best impact and quality, but both are quite expensive. Just look for an option you like, price it right and offer it to them and prepare some cheaper offerings after you asked how they want it printed (on canvas or solid, in a frame, ...).

Btw., which photo do they want to buy?

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Congrats. Custom framing is very expensive compared to the std sizes available at Michael's. I had a pano shot that I was looking to frame for work and was too expensive so it was never framed. Canvas might be more expensive then metal prints + std frame. There was a deal last week but I felt still overpriced. So check what they are asking and be prepared to give the options as Poki said. I like the metal prints also but sometimes it depends on the photo. I sold a few of my metal prints to my friends/coworkers at print cost.

Quick search for photos in etsy gives $30-$250 range for 20"x30" photos including some canvas:
    http://www.etsy.com/search?q=20x30 photo&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto5

5. jvenard

jvenard New to TalkEmount

Sep 23, 2013
    Have you considered canvas wrap?

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, I'm curious too! ;)

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    • Like Like x 4
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Nice one! Congrats, Tony. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks David.

10. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    You might want to check out BayPhoto. They did some printing for me earlier in the month and I was very happy with both the prices and their work. You could go online, check out the prices for the print, mounting, etc and then from that amount extrapolate how much you want to make as a profit. Disclaimer: I don't work for BayPhoto, have stock in their company or blah blah blah.

http://www.bayphoto.com/

11. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Off topic reply.
    I know that the probability is low, but by any chance is the law firm Lewis Glasser Casey & Rollins? My family still does some business in Charleston, and we have been using an attorney in that firm for some time. It's not really of any importance, but I would consider it an interesting coincidence if that did happen to be the firm.

- Tom -

12. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    If the original capture is reasonably sharp, that should be no problem, especially when I look at your image subject.

I have a 20"x30" after-sunset print of the Kanawha River hanging on my office wall that I took about four years ago with my Alpha 700. It has received compliments from colleagues even though I did not use post-processing to take out the power lines crossing the river.

I'll attach a copy of that image as an example. Hopefully no one will be offended that this was captured with an Alpha and not a NEX.

FWIW, I had the 20"x30" print done at Adorama, just because I had been very satisfied with a photo book they had done for me.

- Tom -

Kanawha Sunset.

• Like Like x 5
  13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Denny.

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    That is oh so nice, Tom. I'm guessing a sunset photo from Daniel Boone Park?

Tony

15. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I was mistaken, Tom. It is an accounting firm, not a law firm.

Tony

16. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Very close to Daniel Boone Park - the parking lot at the local Moose lodge. :D

A friend who belongs to the Moose had taken me to dinner at the "Buck a Burger" night at the Moose lodge. When we came out, I saw the sky and ran over to the car to get the Alpha 700 out of the trunk. I wanted to get good depth of field, so I set the aperture at f:11. (In retrospect that was higher than I really needed.) I didn't have a tripod with me, so I then bumped the ISO to 400 to get a shutter speed of 1/100 second to reduce blurring with the 50mm Minolta AF lens.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 1
  17. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice, and well captured. Charleston has some very scenic locales.

Tony