1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question about rangefinders

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I took a chance and bought a damaged Yashica Electro 35 with a Yashinon Dx 45mm f/1.7, for the vast sum of $14 shipped. From the photos and description, the lens appears to be functional and unmarked. I took the shot because I've read good things about the 45/1.7, and I wanted to try something other than a Vivitar, just to be open-minded, y'know. :) Anyone have a recommendation on the best adapter to use?

Tony

2. Stevelnex

Stevelnex New to TalkEmount

Jul 16, 2013
    The yashica electro lens isn't removable as it's a coupled rangefinder so the only way you're going to fit it is to make your own mount out of an NEX body cap and get the lens distance correct by trial and error.

Cheers
    Steve

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    LOL! Should have done my homework better. Oh well, $14 for an interesting looking paperweight.

Tony

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    If you do some research, there are people that have disassembled the Yashica and converted the lens to another mount. Not easy, probably not cheap, either.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Actually, I found one link right here on TalkNex: Nex-converted Yashinon. I'll keep digging, but I don't think it is hopeless. I've always loved tinkering and trying to figure things out.

Tony

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    More searching and reading turned up a couple of different conversions using a c-mount adapter. One of those is now on the way from Amazon. Text for how it was done is sparse, so I'll need to figure out the register distance. I saw a factory exploded view of the Dx 45mm somewhere . . . I need to find it again. This may be a lot of work for nothing, but at least I'll learn something new.

Tony

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Good luck! And let us know how it turns out.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I now have some information and access to photos of a gentleman who did this successfully. That will give me a good head start to a successful project.

Tony