1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about lens hood and front lens cap

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Jan 16, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I recently bought a screw-in lens hood (aftermarket) for my MD 50 1.7
    This one:

Received it today and tried it on (which fits fine btw) only to discover that when this lens hood is fitted I'm not able to also fit the oe MD front lens cap at the same time (as you know with the E-mount lenses you can have the lens hood & front lens cap on at the same time)...:mad:
    Anyone knows if there's a front lens cap that I can fit in combination with the lens hood?

If anyone's asking why do I need this, here's the scenario:
    I'm out street shooting my MD 50 in a day with bright sunlight (typical around here), so I must have the lens hood fitted but at the same time I need to protect the front of the lens when I'm not actually shooting and just carrying my camera. So, see something interesting, just pop out the lens cap and shoot - rather than pop out the lens cap, install lens hood and shoot

Am I making any sense at all??? :p

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    The lens-hood gets screwed in the filter thread?
    Than I think you can't attach a lens cap that really matches... (as far as I know!)
    At the Sony e-mount lenses the hoods are screwed in a separate thread...

But the hood gives you a bit protection from scratches... but I too prefer the cap before a hood...

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, it screws in the filter thread...:(

Or maybe a different lens hood then?

4. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nick, if the 49mm cap doesn't fit the hood a 52mm probably will. Depends on the actual cap. I have one that works perfectly with a cap and one is between sizes so it pops out constantly.

Something like this might work for you as well.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Hmm, I don't see how that's ^^ any different from what I have :?
    Maybe you mean this is slightly bigger diameter thus fits from the outside part of the lens (not on the filter thread)???

:? Yeah, my MD front lens cap is original so it opens from the front just like the original Sony ones...

Not sure I follow...the 49mm lens hood fits fine since it screws in the filter thread of my MD 50 (which is 49mm). You mean I should try a bigger diameter lens hood (52mm)?

7. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Oh.. oh... well...
    My post was a bit wrong, I searched this shop for a cap for my 52mm Sigma Macro lens, thats why I linked a 52mm version...
    Just use the one for your size... it should fit over the outside of the lens I think...

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    For what it's worth I hardly ever use lens caps. I mostly put a UV-filter on the lens for protection and then a lens hood, no need to take off a lens cap to take a picture. If I think the UV-filter will interfere with picture quality, I just take it off and on some lenses I simply don't use a filter at all, only the lens hood. If e.g. a 50/1.7 gets damaged, it's not very expensive to replace it, mostly for less than the price of a good UV-filter.

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't fit the outside of the lens :(
    (only on the inside - where the filter thread is)

10. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    The lens I linked to uses s filter on top of the lens to be screwed to.
    So you would use a 49mm UV filter and this hood, but there seems no one available for 49mm lenses...

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sorry, that wasn't clear- try a larger cap. :)

12. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    If you browse lenshoods.com, there're rubber hoods that take front caps with the same filter size. Rubber hoods are pretty flexible, but OTOH they don't offer the same kind of protection.

Nick, I noticed that the hood you use seems like a wide-angle hood. I generally use hood matching the *effective* focal length. For example, I use hood originally intended for 35mm lens with adapted 24mm on NEX. In your case, for the 50mm, you want a short tele hood.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Now, this is embaressing...I read both of these replies wrong :O

@Grisu_HDH: You're absolutely right, my MD front cal is NOT the same as the Sony one as I wrote before. The 2 tabs which open the MD cap are on its side, unlike the Sony ones which are in front...

@Bimjo: after reading this again, its clear and it now makes perfect sense ;)

14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I've seen those rubber collapsable hoods and I'm not a fan...

Brian, hmm....I kinda opted for the same design of hood as the original Sony one on the 18-55 kit lens, but I could always try a short tele hood as you suggest ;)

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey, no issues. After re-reading it I was confused. ;)

You could always go the step down ring (49-28mm) and 28mm cap instead of a hood route. Looks like this:

5n_lenses_06.

Works well and it's much more compact. Also you can drop the lens in your bag after a lens change with less chance of smearing the front element.