1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about flash sync cords

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ilovehatephotography, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    If I mount a native Sony flash on a flash bracket and connected to the A7 via a flash sync cord (off brand because it doesn't seem like sony has their own) will I retain TTL metering?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Combination will depend on the flash you want to use

For HVL-F43M or 20M:

Sony FA-CS1M on camera ( new and kind of rare at this moment )
    Sony FA-MC1AM ( or Minolta Cable CD ) connected to front of shoe ( 2nd cable on the left of the picture below )
    another Sony FA-CS1M to support flash ( this new shoe only has the TTL pass through contacts and the new Sony MIS locking mechanism)

to Extend distance by 1 meter add a Sony FA-EC1AM cable ( Minolta Cable EX) ( 1st cable on the left )

If you use Sony HVL-F60M, F58AM, F56AM or Minolta 5600HSD:

Sony FA-CS1M on camera
    Sony FA-MC1AM ( or Minolta Cable CD ) connected to front of shoe
    These flashes have a TTL connector either at the side or bottom to accommodate the CD connector. You can use the WL foot or another off-brand shoe to hold it on your bracket

If you use Sony HVL-F20AM, F36AM, F42AM, F43AM or Minolta 3600HSD or 2500D:

Sony FA-CS1M on camera
    Sony FA-MC1AM ( or Minolta Cable CD ) connected to front of shoe
    Sony FA-CS1AM ( or Minolta OS-1100 ) these have a base with a standard hot shoe without contacts but have no provision for tightening ( only through the 1/4 inch threaded hole at the bottom ( Shoe adapter on the far right in front of a cable )

14496651913_bccefdd014_b.

See link below for high res pics of each ( Except FA-CS1M that is still unavailable in Canada )
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/55173440@N08/sets/72157645281460511/

And please don't ask questions about the Manfrotto shoe you will see posted there ( this was available in the late '80's and early '90's. I have 2 and it seems it has long been discontinued )

• Like Like x 2