1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about flash preview

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pworden, Apr 2, 2015.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'm using a6000 and HVL-F20M. I can't see the effect the flash will have before taking the shot. In fact, the preview is so dark I can't focus. I know I can either open up aperture or push ISO to focus. I have Live Preview ON. Is there a combination of settings that will work for this?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Find the menu item that mentions Live view effect and put it OFF.
    This will get your viewfinder much closer to what you will actually see.

3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I have the A7ii but I imagine the A6000 is the same. There is a setting under 'cog' section 2 or 3 which is 'setting effect on' - if you change this to 'setting effect off' this will boost the light in the EVF and Viewfinder.

However it is rarely a good idea to shoot at base iso with a small flash. This will tend to produce harsh shadows and black backgrounds. Try shooting a stop or so lower iso than you would have used if you didnt have a flash.

4. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks - I did try live view off but still much too dark.

5. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    This is with a completely manual lens, so my guess is the camera can't calculate an added flash preview. But even with a Sony e-mount lens, the preview is only a bit lighter with the flash in on position, nothing like the end result will be. Do any camera/flash combinations show that in a preview?

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is odd. When I have my Nex 7 with effects off the viewfinder is bright. Somewhat grainy when there is very little light but perfectly usable.

7. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    Tried to reproduce this darkness with my A7r.
    The only wayS i found to make my finder go darker ( even with manual lenses) is to dial-in under exposure or to change the finder brightness.
    Is your ambient light or flash exposure correction set to something like minus 3 ?

The fact your flash is on should have no impact on the viewfinder brightness when you select Live View effect OFF

8. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Yes - the live view off show no difference when flash is attached. I don't believe I have any flash compensation set - am at work, will check tonight. Thank you.

9. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    The live view off will show no or little difference with flash attached and on unless you work with a native lens and dedicated flash where the camera realizes there is flash on there and compensates for that in the finder as long as the flash is on.

But remember that compensation is not actually a flash preview, just a boosted image to show a general idea of the final picture.

For example working in A mode at F 8 will probably give you a shutter sped of 1/60 sec with flash recycled and recognized, Live view will compensate for that. If you go to M Mode and 1/60 sec at F8 with Live view ON may show you a very dark finder due to the underexposed setting you are using compared to your scene brightness.

What this (Live View effect OFF) is supposed to do is provide you with an image that is boosted/compensated so you see something in the finder should you use exposure compensation or an adapted lens in manual mode where Live View effect on would otherwise give you a dark or totally black finder image.

But the preview with LV OFF should show you a respectably good image to help you frame and focus. Unless you set your lens at a very small aperture ( F22 ?) and/or working in a totally dark environment , the image in the finder should show you some good detail to compose and help you focus on something.

What settings were you using ? ISO, exposure Mode, aperture selected if A or M, exposure compensation(either ambient or flash if your camera has both and they are hidden in different places)

10. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks. Good to have a better understanding and expectation of Live View OFF. The situation in question was f16 in a fairly dim, inside location so Live View Off didn't help. I didn't have any exposure compensation set. Guess in that situation I'll move something temporarily to enable some focus, then shoot with the flash and see what I get, adjust again.