Question about adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rkworld, Oct 7, 2013.

1. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    I am about to make a jump into the rabbit hole of manual lenses :)
    wondering what are some good adapters to consider outside of fotodiox? i dont mind spending a little more to get a better quality adapter. I have not decided on the lens yet 100% cant decide between 50mm or 85mm

thanks in advance

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Can't recommend any expensive adapters myself but cheap China-made adapters from ebay have been working great for me (I have over 10 of these and no problems whatsoever)

3. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    I have several chinese adapters bought thru eBay and a couple from Rainbowimaging. Can't tell the difference. Never had any problems with them. Well other then it takes time for them to arrive here from China. Mine are labelled (assuming that they have a label!!!) as either Fotga or Fotasy. Have them for Konica, Canon, Minolta and screw mount Leica. They vary in size according to the brand that they are mating with. The Minolta and Canon are about the same size. The L39 (leica thread) is the smallest. One of my Minolta's has a mount on the bottom for a tripod. I use that mount with my long Minolta teles. The Konica mount is just a bit slimmer than the Minolta or Canon. They all have worked flawlessly. I have a Canon FD to NEX adapter (labeled Fotga) which I don't need anymore. No Canon lenses remaining. Send me an private message if you are interested in it. I am here in the States so I won't bother shipping overseas etc. But if you are in the US it's available. Lenswise, I suggest you start with a 50mm lens. They are cheap, abundant and will give you an idea of how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I am in deep. I am ok using manual lens but that's what I learned to photograph with; so autofocus seems kinda like cheating to me.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Before you spend a lot of money on high-priced adapters, you may want to read this article at LensRentals.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I will echo the cheap versus expensive argument.

I have four adapters, all MD mounts; three are cheap, (under $10.00), one is expensive, (about $30.00). I can not tell which is which without looking at them.

6. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Not a bad read, but that article concludes by saying you should really use a fancy lens on the camera it was made for, ignoring the reality for most of us, which is "I have this lens that I *AM* going to use on my camera; which adapter(s) will do the job."

My experience is that most of the affordable ("inexpensive") adapters seem to function about the same and all seem have similar issues. All that I've used have worked well and are good value.

One common issue is that almost all of these adapters are just a tiny bit shorter than they ought to be. The result is twofold: you can overshoot infinity focus, and the distance scale on your lens may become wildly inaccurate when using the adapter.

Fortunately, that is fairly easy to fix. You need simply add a shim between the lens and the adapter. Shims are easily made from paper, believe it or not, and by choosing the correct thickness you can get the lens/adapter set up so your distance scale works AND the focusing stops at infinity just like it did when the lens was on its native camera. A downside is that you are effectively dedicating the adapter to that one lens, so if you use shims you'll need additional adapters.

It's worth mentioning here, that really long lenses -- generally anything from 300mm and up -- will generally have overshoot built into the focusing helical, so it isn't necessary or even possible to have the focus stop at infinity on such lenses. They are built this way so that when used in extreme temperatures the lens can still reach infinity focus even though the lens barrel gets longer due to the metal expanding with the heat.

7. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    Thank you all :)