1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Query on Long Glass

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Roscoe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    My main mode is short, but on rare occasions, longer glass is handy. Curious what folks are using to reach into the 300mm (and beyond range). Default 300mm for me would tend to be an adapted lens, with my default (given a Zeiss predeliction) a Zeiss 300mm/F4 in Contax CY mount. Price is right. But I'm curious what others are doing. I hear Canon has some pretty great legacy glass. Many others as well.

Also curious whether anyone out there has done the "rent only" thing with longer glass?

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The best (low cost) 300mm legacy telephoto is, hands down, the Canon FD 300mm f/4L.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nikon 300mm/f4.5 ED IF Ai-S. Great piece of glass, got mine for a song but haven't used it in a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I take it you know about the 70-300mm FF lens which seems to be a great lens, if you can swing the high price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    davect01, thanks! No, assume I know nada about Sony so far. Help is much appreciated. Weight of that lens is certainly a selling point at 1.8lbs. Legacy lenses seem to run twice that and more.

MAubrey/Nexnut: Looks like a good one and a favored alternative to the Nikon (thanks Nexnut for that ref, too!)... which is definitely the alternate (per philipreeve). Always prefer to hear what folks actually own and how they use it. I've had a few 300mm/400mm - both zooms and primes (Pentax and Fuji) in my time and used them extremely rarely - if at all. That rainy day seldom comes, and usage I'd still expect to run light, but a few rentals add up, too. Hard to decide... which is why for short to mild tele primes I have a high budget, but lower here (which is the reverse of what the market demands!!!).

The Canon idea might work as a an adaptor rental... especially if rentals of even longer glass are available. Will have to look.

6. Nexnut

I've had an eye on the Tamron 70-300mm/f4-5.6 macro (1:2) Di ... something zoom as a lighter alternative to the pretty heavy Nikkor for my daily walks back home. May not be what you're looking for but it's pretty affordable and has had some favorable reviews here and there.

7. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Nexnut: I've tried both Zoom and Prime. Both were monsters. Not sure that changes UNLESS ...as I see, you go to the MFT format where long is half-size. "Birder" Scott Bourne has apparently taken that route. Maybe the thing to do is start at the back-end looking at the adapters and work forward from there? to what's rentable... and rent only for the time being? Something in the 300mm range might fill as you say "walks around home", but those occasional longer needs... rent seems to make more sense.

8. Nexnut

I had to look it up but the Nikon is a whoppin' 990g, almost one kg vs. 567g of the Tammy, just a little more than half the weight - a big plus in my book but I'll keep the Nikon anyway and maybe get the Tammy one day.
    Regarding renting, there ain't no such possibilites over here but luckily I can borrow all sorts of stuff from some friends but alas ... no 300mm glass. As to m43 I've had two different E-M5's for a while but sold them again since I already own two different APS-C cameras + glass and generally prefer what I get from those kits and to me that's worth the extra bulk and weight.

9. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    You're definitely right about the Tammy's weight. Curious how the IQ compares on a Sony FF. You'd like to think for 2X the weight, the prime out performs the zoom... but anything can happen.

10. Nexnut

Yeah, from what I've read there's some CA here and there but what could someone expect from a $100 lens. Some folks seem to be pretty happy with the performance on the long end, even compared to more expensive glass. I really have no idea what has kept me from pulling the trigger on one of those suckers for so long.

11. Henipah

Henipah TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    Western Australia
    Liam
    Given that I mostly like to shoot birds, I've decided to wait until I can afford the 70-200 GM as this will give the best image quality and versatility (particularly once I have a 2x converter).

I do own the 55-210 zoom but currently prefer to shoot with my 85/1.4, even if it means a lot of cropping.

Took this one yesterday:
    Y4OiUQB.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Nice Osprey!

Yeah... been looking around and I see lot of folks seem to approach it that way. I have a couple of lighthouses I'd like to shoot offshore, and cropping ain't going to do it unless I embark on a boat... which introduces a whole series of other problems in terms of stable shooting platforms I don't want or need to get into. I know folks who do the gyro thing... and I dont' see going there anytime soon.
    So I think a birding lens is probably the right thing... and at plus-to-a-300mm, I'm pretty sure it's either a project that doesn't happen any time soon, or it's a rent.

But yeah... I love the 85mm lens! I also have a 135mm and a 80-200mm zoom, and there's a point where you just have to say "'nuff is enough" and redefine what you do, what you don't, and how you handle the rest so you don't get sucked into spending bigger bucks on the things you rarely do rather than on things you mostly do. I'm a lot closer to that I think than I've been, but as I'm still working on that, I'm very curious how folks resolve these matters for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For another approach, user zackiedawg over at dpreview had pretty great BIF results using an A6000, the 55-210, and a Sony teleconverter (VCL-DH1758). This gets you to an effective FL of around 450mm.

If interested you would want to check his posts from about 6months or older, as he upgraded around then to an A6300 and the 70-300.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Revisiting... re-editing. Scratching the Canon thoughts as the contemporary mounts don't seem to mate with the Sony E-mount (correct?) but Nikon seems to work (correct?). There's a Tamron 200-500mm Nikon mount (specifically:
    Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP Di LD for Nikon) and the price/weight combo might do the trick for the special use. Thoughts? AND you can rent this as a trial.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Canon EF works. You just need an adapter that passes an electronic signal. There are plenty available at various prices and of various qualities.

16. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The FE 70-300 G f4.5-5.6 is a great lens if you are prepared to pay for it. Native E mount so performs very well with the E series cameras.
    I love mine, it's fairly compact for what it is and the IQ is excellent. Works well on FF and cropped sensor bodies (A7R2 & A6300)
    Here's a duck, A7R2 FE 70-300 300mm @f8.
    28934627794_b513f1960c_b.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Well... thanks all for the thoughts. Thinking through this myself, I'm prone to think we'll have great native lens choices with real reach.... later. For now, I'll admit to going with the easy thing... and I bought the Zeiss Tele-Tessar 300mm F/4. Why?
    I already have the adapter, and knew the vendor. Yep. Very simple. Maybe not optimal, but I rarely shoot in this range, and was reluctant to go with a zoom, or pricey solution for that reason... until the choices open up, and I think eventually they will. Meantime, I'm trying to concentrate my resources on the shorter to intermediate end where I tend to have the most common shots, and where there are some very sweet (to me) native options (Zeiss Loxia). But a guy needs something long on occasion... and at that length, seems to me, it'll be on a tripod... which I should be using more often anyway. With the Mutar 1.4X extender, it should reach out to 420mm which should be more than enough for now. FWIW, the Canon FD option appealed, and is no doubt a "better" IQ option, but it'd be a new adapter... and while not normally stingy, I resisted to fund the other, short-end options (see above). The Sony zoom option looks like an excellent thought as well in the contemporary range. I'd love to see Zeiss re-engage in making lenses for the long end... say the 300mm and up either as a zoom or prime. Up to them. I'm sure it's a small market... and maybe it's something they'd prefer to leave to Canon... in which case, we'll rent and we'll find out! Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Paul: Like the duck! Got some great shots on your Flickr, too. Those motorcyclist shots... well, those guys are (were?) crazy! Thanks for posting! a suggestion.
    And thanks to all for chiming in. Good to hear what folks are shooting and how.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

I like to day dream of the day (but before I get too old) that Sony will offer something equivalent to the Canon 400 5.6 prime but of course physically much smaller and much lighter weight for cameras like the a6300 for those of us who shoot birds.

20. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    I absolutely adore my Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A). On my A7
    29686626182_0822bcd98a_o.jpg
    29763569346_383092474d_o.jpg
    29799302905_996ecee081_o.jpg
    Here one at 60mm
    29799306235_c949a885b0_o.jpg

• Like Like x 6