1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Quantaray 28-80mm 3.5-4.5 MACRO

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by fractal, Oct 29, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Recently picked this up for a few bucks and tested it out tonight.

It's an auto lens but on my NEX-7 I'm using it full manual and it's not the easiest thing to do. These are all hand held - the focusing felt jittery to me and I didn't think I hit on any of these until I took a look.
    I ended up with a hit rate of about 30%.

DSC02489-XL.

DSC02495-XL.

DSC02502-XL.

I've only played with it for about an hour and I think I need to get used to how it operates. It has a separate "marco" dial that adjusts the magnification. It seems to me it would work best with a tripod.

• Like Like x 8
  2. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Well, you learn something new everyday. This is not a Minolta lens. Quantaray is a brand name lens manufactured by Sigma back in the day for Ritz Stores. Apparently at a much lower quality level than Minolta. :p It sure looked like a Minolta and the results seem acceptable but I am taking the Minolta name out of the title.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Seems like the resolution isn't too bad, but the contrast is a bit low.

Sometimes low contrast is nice for effect, otherwise you gotta crank up the clarity setting when you do post production.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Done ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Dusted this lens up and took it out for a spin. Went to my favorite walking trail by the river. The lens does an "eh" job on macros ( which it should considering it is named a macro lens), however the "closest" the macro setting goes to is 1:4. So it's not really a macro. Anyway, a few "close up" shots...

DSC03415-XL.

DSC03407-XL.

DSC03413-XL.

DSC03412-XL.

I shot these all in RAW and had to make some significant adjustments in LR. I had to increase contrast by +30 range on each shot as it's poor on the lens. Also had to up saturation as the colors are dull and increase sharpness as the lens is surprisingly soft for a "macro".

I tried some other shots with the lens to test out the range. First thing I noticed in bright sunlight is how much it flares. The flaring was terrible as any shot approaching the sun or it's light was all but useless.
    Again, the lens was soft even when I dropped down to f/5.6 and f/8. Maybe it's sharpens up at f/11 but on this day I didn't get there. I had to clean up significant Chromatic Aberration on this one even though I was @ f/8.

DSC03422-XL.

DSC03420-XL.

The bokeh is nervous and unappealing to me. This was heavily cropped and processed - and the bokeh is yuk!

DSC03446-XL.

Another example - not as bad but nothing close to magic.

DSC03405-XL.

And this...

DSC03409-XL.

I was hoping my meager investment would yield me a usable macro zoom lens. Initially I thought it was a Minolta because I purchased it with a few other Minolta lenses, but alas - only the mount was (MD).
    This is a good example of you get what you pay for. I can get better "macro" type results using my Zony 24mm or even the Sigma 30mm and cropping.

Anything positive about the lens? It seems to be built like a tank - solid and heavy which makes it a perfect paper weight.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lovely additions though!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's one negative review! :biggrin: Better get a real Minolta (says the biased Minolta collector) like the MD 35-70/3.5 with macro or AF 35-70/4.

• Like Like x 1