1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quandry... temporary fix?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Nov 17, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    SVline.jpg

My son is playing in a county Super Bowl this weekend, and after years of mid-afternoon games where my 55-300 A-mount or 55-200 E-mount lenses were perfectly fine, his game starts a dusk. I'm the one everyone counts on for game photos (even the coaches use them), and this game is a big deal to about 30 families. Also, as my son moves up next year to an older team, this dusk scenario will become typical, all his games will be under the lights. So, I have this week to rush an find a solution.

The real choices are a used Sony 70-200 2.8G (first version, found online for $1500) on my A77ii, or a Tamron/Sigma equivalent. The current Sony 70-200 2.8G2 is just too expensive for me.

OR

the new Sony 70-200 4.0G on my A6000.

(BTW, a monopod and ball head are already on the way.)

This is a tough one for me. I love the A6000 and realize as the years progress, I'll likely lean towards the smaller cameras. BUT I use the A77ii for sports to satisfy my DSLR habit that is hard to kick. Either Sony lens will cost about the same, and need to serve me for about 5-6 years as my sons cycle through the league. Within the next year or so, it looks like there will be an A7000, and maybe an A99ii, both of which would interest me (but probably not both), and the new FF A7 series cameras will probably be out next year which could change this completely, but still be an E-mount.

Somehow the FE 70-200 4.0G makes the most sense going forward, but my comfort level made me grab that A-mount 70-200 2.8G before someone else did (it was the last one I could find at that price).

I know it is a terrible First World Problem to have, but has anyone else here with A-mount and E-mount experience come up with a good kit for sports? How ARE the Sigma and Tamron equivalents?

THANKS!!

2. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    For those of you wondering... the EVF on the A77ii is MUCH better than on the A6000. The AF is the same in use between the two cameras (and this is on my shoulder, side-by-side, switching between the two). I don't have an issue with the A6000 EVF, but if they upgrade the A7000, I'd like it very much. With the A77ii, I actually forget it is an EVF. It is that clear and neutral. Not so on the A6000, I always realize it is a digital display.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    70-210/4 Beercan. Less than $100 on KEH, as fast as Sony 70-200/4G, very good IQ. You do need LA-EA2 but it's still way cheaper than other alternatives. F4 may be just fast enough for decent artificial light.

A cheaper fast alternative would be Minolta Maxxum 200/2.8 APO, It's half of the cost of zoom lens and gets rave reviews. Do you need zoom ?

4. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I found a 70-200G used (but it came in looking perfect) for $1400. That's a lot for me, but it was a good price. That will get me through his game this Saturday. THEN I'll look at the beer can (it was on my radar).

Thanks!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Best of luck shooting the game.

The great thing about lenses is that they don't really loose value like bodies do. So when/if you finally sell off your DSLR, you can get the money back on any lenses you have :)

6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Took it to practice last night under the lights... 150mm, ISO6400, f3.5, 1/500th:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    From the games that day, overcast sky.

SONY70200G.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. SimanBrothersOutdoors

SimanBrothersOutdoors New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2014
    Been seeing some sigma 70-200 f2.8 on eBay for less then 300 bones.

9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yeah, I may experiment some. The season is over, so I have until July when practice starts, and then late August until games start. This is a nice lens, but my 55-300 is much faster to focus. That NEW 70-300G looks good too. I could never afford the recent replacement for this 70-200 2.8G.