Quality of A-Mount lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by txbkst, Dec 28, 2012.

1. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Hi All,
    I have come into some cash, and I am trying to decide between upgrading my C3 to a 6, or buying more lenses. What has me intrigued is the LA-EA2 adapter for A-Mount lenses. Does anyone have any advice regarding the lenses. I am drawn to them because there are so many more available than native E-Mount lenses. Are they overall good lenses? I don't mind the extra bulk, so going with the adapter isn't an issue. I just want quality.
    Thanks
    Kim

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Zeiss 24, 85 and 135mm A-Mount lenses are absolutely wonderful! Never had enough time with other A-lenses though. As far as I've read they are pretty standard with a few jewels (like the 135mm STM lens).

If you want to use cheaper lenses, I'd think again, because the adapter is a bit pricey.

3. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    If you are unfamiliar with the Sony A-mount lenses I can recommend a visit to www.dyxum.com and their lens data base. Allmost all lenses for the A-mount from Sony as well as third party is listed.

4. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    The Sony 'Easy Choice' lenses are actually pretty decent, especially given the price. These are the 30mm 2.8 macro, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 2.8. Then of course there are lots of older Minolta AF lenses, some of which are excellent. The 50mm f1.7 Minolta prime is popular as well as lot's of zoom lenses. The Tamron 55-200mm is another budget lens that is better than it has any right to be at the price and costs half of what the Sony 55-210 e-mount does but with similar performance and of course much faster AF.

As Michael says, the dyxum lens database is the place to go to for lens reviews, sample images and links to other reviews. You can use the search function to sort results by rating or filter by brand, focal length etc.

Here are the 4 cheaper Sony A mount prime lenses:
    Sony*AF DT 30 F2.8 Macro SAM*SAL30M28 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount
    Sony*DT 35 F1.8 SAM*SAL35F18 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount
    Sony*AF DT 50 F1.8 SAM*SAL50F18 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount
    Sony*85 F2.8 SAM*SAL85F28 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

While these lenses may look and feel a bit cheap and plasticky compared to their e-mount equivalents, optically they are pretty decent, particularly the 35mm 1.8 and the 85mm 2.8.

Also see the Sony ALpha Flickr group lens galleries for sample shots and user reviews:
    Flickr: Discussing Lens Galleries in SONY ALPHA: Amateur to Advanced

I am sure the more expensive A mount lenses are even better (Zeiss, Sony 'G' and Minolta 'G' lenses for example) but as they are beyond my budget I have no experience of using them. The Sony 16-50 2.8 and less expensive Tamron 17-50 2.8 also get good reviews.

The LA-EA2 adapter is expensive so that is also a consideration. On the other hand (at least here in the UK) buying the e-mount 35mm 1.8 costs £399 while the LA-EA2 adapter (£180) and an A mount 35mm 1.8 (£120) costs a total of around £300 - so for less than the e-mount lens cost you can get the same focal length, but faster AF and the adapter which means you can then use any other a mount lens (with the downside being the added bulk of the adapter of course).

5. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to give the adapter a shot. I have been eyeing that 30/2.8 macro and a 200mm zoom.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Keep in mind though that you loose any kind of image stabilization with A-Mount lenses. While this is not a big deal with a 30mm macro or a 35mm 1.8, it certainly is for a 200mm lens.

7. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim

Hmmm... That's a really good point. I totally forgot the lack of OSS.

8. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    The latest Metabones EF adapter even adds AF support with many newer EF lenses. Not cheap, but maybe worth a thought...

I find myself reluctant to make major investments in SLR lenses unless 1) I'm getting a really good deal (usually with a manual "dead" mount) or 2) I plan to eventually use it on a SLR body.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
  11. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Well I had decided on the Canon adapter when I found a great deal on the 200mm lens and the LA-EA2 adapter. Will update once I receive and take them for a test drive. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. I love how helpful people on this forum are!

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Wait until you get the bill. LOL Just kidding. No, really. ;)