• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Quad Cities, USA. Rock Island Arsenal

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Last set from my recent vacation. The Rock Island Arsenal sits on an island in the Mississippi River between Illinois and Iowa. Bridges from the Illinois side come from both Rock Island and Moline, with the main bridge spanning the Mississippi going from the island over to Davenport, Iowa. This last span is known as either the Goverment Bridge, or the Arsenal Bridge. It is situated at Lock and Dam #15 on the Mississippi, and has a rotating span to move boats through. If you get stuck waiting for the draw span, you could be looking at a half-hour wait to cross the bridge.

250px-Govt_bridge_anim2.gif
   ---            

In my younger days, access to the island was barely restricted. You could always cross from Rock Island to Davenport without issue, and still can. The Moline bridge went onto the main arsenal, and if you were going to the cemetery or the park, you told the guard at the gate where you were headed and they let you pass. Nowadays, they scan the driver's license of everyone in the car and run security checks before letting you pass. When the National alert level is high, you may not be able to get on the island at all unless you work there.

First shot, the span is open, a barge has come through (off camera to the right), but didn't completely fit in the lock. The barge had to be disengaged from it's load and back out to go through in several sections.

1245-20120606-quad-cities-01c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same shot, done in B & W, which seems only fitting for a bridge this old:

1244-20120606-quad-cities-01b.jpg

The span closing with cars waiting to cross over to Davenport:

1246-20120606-quad-cities-02.jpg

The clock tower and storehouse, now the home of the Rock Island District of the Corps of Engineers:

1247-20120606-quad-cities-03.jpg

A small section of the cemetery:

1248-20120606-quad-cities-04.jpg

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Hey DB,
Great set of photos and the first one is very clever. Seems like a fascinating place to visit.
Thanks for sharing,
Paul

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hey DB,
Great set of photos and the first one is very clever. Seems like a fascinating place to visit.
Thanks for sharing,
Paul
The animated GIF? Not mine, unfortunately - Comes from the live web cam they have installed and I found the GIF on wikipedia. Definitely a great way to show the workings of it all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom