Q: Single Coated Lens + Multi Coated Filter (Feat. Olympus OM 24mm)?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Yohan, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Hello everyone,

I picked up a Olympus OM 24mm f2.8 yesterday. I've been looking for a wide angle to use with my A7. This lens seems to get good reviews.

However, I noticed that my silver-nosed Olympus 24mm is the single coated version. As I understand, single coated lenses are more flare prone and less contrasty. The lens didn't come with a hood.

I got the OM 24mm not only because it's compact, but also because it has the 49mm filter thread like the FE 55mm. I already have the filters in place.

The question is, what effect does a multi coated Circular Polarizer or Neutral Density filter have when used on a single coated lens? I'm curious if it would increase flare resistance and contrast much like the multicoated version of the lens. Seems like the multi coated version of the lens costs quite a bit more on eBay.

2. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    can't answer the question, but i have some comments?

full frame/24mm means check for vignetting when filters are used.

i tested six 24mm primes on the a7r... the oly was sharp, with good contrast, but it had field curvature issues, so it's not the best choice for full-frame landscapes and such... good choice for crop sensor cameras, tho.

rather than get a multi-coated version of it, consider looking at the fd/fdn 24mm 2.8... it's a bit low in contrast, but just as sharp, much cheaper, and the least amount of field curvature of all the 24mm primes i looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Adding a filter to a camera lens can never improve image quality. Using a multi-coated filter only reduces the additional flare and ghosting introduced by the filter, it won't change the characteristics of the lens it's attached to. Having that said, using a polarizer naturally can improve contrast, of course, but that's not because of its coating.

• Like Like x 3
  4. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    As mentioned, the multicoating of the filter doesn't affect the performance of the lens; the filter's coatings only strive to reduce the detrimental effects of the filter itself. With a lens like that, leave the filter off, and find yourself a hood that will fit that lens, because it's your best bet if you want to preserve image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Yeah, I guess what I was wondering was what kind of difference I would see in flare/contrast control between single coated lens + multicoated filter vs multicoated lens alone. But good to know contrast doesn't have to do with coating, thanks Poki.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I have recently acquired a single coated version of this lens and a hood seems to be required. haven't done any serious shots as I have been busy but in the test shots I have done simply putting my hand above the lens to act like a hood shows a massive improvement in contrast (even though I don't think this lens is very contrasty). Looked on ebay for genuine hood and they are expensive so I got a generic one in the mail. Here is a shot I took at the local dam, was shot at ISO 100 1.3 seconds, cant remember the f stop but I think f5.6 or f8.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, of course if there is less flare (even if the flare is not directly visible on the photos), you'll get better contrast. But a lens hood should help in that case.

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    • Like Like x 1