1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[Q]choosing prime lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by d3xophen, May 1, 2014.

1. d3xophen

d3xophen TalkEmount Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    I am very confusing which will suit me between sel35f18 or sel50f18 (cost dosent matter)
    for portrait.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    For "normal" portraits (head and shoulders) the 50 would be better than the 35, because 1) there would be less distortion close up (bulbous noses), and 2) you could more easily isolate the background from the subject. For environmental portraits, which include some of the subject's surroundings, the 35 might be a little better.

Having said all that, if I were looking for a portrait lens, I'd be looking for something even longer than the 50. A standard portrait lens is more in the ~85mm range.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes indeed. No question about it, between those two the SEL50F18 will be the one. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    But APS-C 50mm = 85mm FF. So if you have an APS-C camera 50mm would be OK for portrait. Personally I have found my (non studio) portrait work that my 50mm is too close, this is one of the reasons I have just bought the SEL35F18. However, traditionally as woodworks says 80-85mm (on full frame) is used.

• Like Like x 2
  5. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    thanks for the reply, My camera is a6000 with sel16-50 kit lens.
    i m very new to dslr.

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    If I were to look for a new Portrait lens I will probably get a Canon 85mm one or similar unless there is anything like that coming up for the NEX soon :D

7. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    I want to buy only one len for prime, which one should i choose?.
    Can i shoot a portrait to a person (the whole body with nice blur background) with kit lens(16-50mm)?
    sorry for my noob question. :)

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    D'oh! You're quite right, of course. Since moving to the A7, I've completely stopped doing conversions. You'd think that having gone through several µ4/3 and APS-C cameras, the thought might intrude. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You will struggle to get blurred backgrounds with the 16-50 kit lens.

If budget is no problem the SEL50F18 is nice as it is native and so has autofocus etc. However, if this is for mainly portrait use AF is not so important (and often people prefer MF). In which case you are probably better looking at the MANY legacy options which will give you higher quality optics and potentially cheaper than the SEL50F18 as well.
    I have the Olympus OM 50 f1.8, which I was given, and it works OK for portrait, but as you have the choice I would say ask some of the guys on here (like Ad!) that have lots of 50's which they would recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    If portraits are your favourite, the 50F18 will be the one for you.
    I use the 35F18 as my everyday lens and love it so far.

Another suggestion from my side could be the Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN, great for portraits, good pice point, but no OSS...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For portraits, buy the longest lens you can afford to buy and use. The longer the lens, the more flattering the perspective distortion are. I know a few photographers who almost exclusively use 200mm lenses (either the long end of a 70-200 zoom or a 200 prime) on full frame bodies for portraits. Of course you need a massive distance to your subject in that case, especially for full body portraits. That's why 85mm full frame equivalent is considered the standard now - you get quite nice compression and don't need that much distance to your subject.

Subject isolation (i.e. blurred background) on full body portraits will be incredibly hard to get, even with a 50mm 1.8 lens. For that purpose, you'd need at least f/1.4, better f/1.2 or f/0.95 on a crop sensor camera.

Also, 50mm translates to 75mm 35mm equivalent on APS-C sensors, not 85mm. Except on Canon bodies, where it's 80mm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Demppa

Demppa New to TalkEmount

May 9, 2014
    Finland
    75 mm with the 1.5 factor. :)

Edit: Sorry, didn’t mean to offend or condescend nor did I notice this get rectified in a previous post...

Spec-wise I'd second the 60 mm Sigma. Sharpest crop E-mount lens according to DxOMark (if you're into that sort of thing) from good at wide open to excellent at f/4-11. Even at f/4 I'd recon you'll have decent subject isolation - I'm getting this lens today so I don't have any first-hand experience yet. 60 on the A6000 is at 90 mm equivalency, closer to the 85 mm that's usually considered the sweet spot for portraits than the SEL50F18 at 75 mm equivalency.
    There are plenty of samples online of the Sigma on M4/3 cameras (x2.0 crop), but unfortunately not too many on a Sony, so make sure you'll check the EXIF.

• Like Like x 1
  13. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Your first post and you feel the need to point out a minor correction which has already been pointed out in the post before yours anyway. You won't make friends to quick that way bud...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks you all for ur advice.

Now I have been buyed sel50f1.8 (since it is discounted to 199USD in australia :) )

sel35f18 will b my next target after spending times with 50mm.

15. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I wish the sel35 was a sel30 too close in focal length with the 50 one

A.

16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree. These focal length's are time tested wide and normal on full frame and I believe Sony leveraged those existing designs when they created these lenses. That said, 35 and 50 have a FOV of 52.5mm and 75mm respectively on APS-C. You end up with 2 great lenses with questionable focal lengths. The FOV of the Sigma 30 and 60 are much more useful. If only they were 1.8.

17. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    There's also a SEL 30mm if you think the focal range of the 35mm is too close to the 50mm.

18. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    My bad, it opens only at f/3,5, it's a macro lens. Sorry. By the way it's kinda weird for a macro lens to be at 30mm while generally macro lenses are around 100mm.

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Every system has a short macro lens. Some people just prefer the wide perspective of short macro lenses when photographing food.