1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[Q] Choosing NEX models

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by d3xophen, Apr 24, 2014.

1. d3xophen

d3xophen TalkEmount Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    I am very new to DSLR camera.

I want a camera which is compact(i mean as small as possible) and the image quality is as good as DSLR camera. And I found that E mount sony Camera is compact and interchangeable lens.

But I am very confusing when i start searching which one is the best among E mount cameras.
    Which one is better between a series (eg: a6000) vs NEX ( eg : nex 5t )?

I am confusing again in NEX series which one is latest among, NEX 5t, 5tL, 5ty, 6, 7. I dont know which one is the lastet.
    Can someone explain me?

Thanks,

2. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    A5000 and A6000 are the latest NEX models (Sony have chosen to not use the NEX name any more). NEX6 and A6000 are similar. If you have the money I would recommend the A6000. High resolution, fast auto focus and an electronic viewfinder.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you want absolute smallness, the 3N is the most compact of the line.

[​IMG]

4. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    The following are arranged by increasing price

NEX 3 - this is for a person upgrading from a bridge/prosumer camera, this has been replaced by the alpha 3000
    NEX 5- This is a slightly higher end variant with better video features and a couple of other improvements, the sensor is the same as NEX3. This has been replaced by the alpha 5000
    NEX6 - This is the semipro variant with an EVF, inbuilt flash, mode dial and ISO hotshoe. Build quality is better than the NEX5/3 but the image sensor is the same 16MP unit used in the 3 and 5
    NEX7 - this is the highest end variant in the APSC lineup with all the bells and whistles, EVF, Trinavi dials, 24MP sensor etc. Both the NEX6 and NEX7 have been replaced by the alpha 6000

The new variants have better sensors, faster autofocus and a much better ISO performance. They are also more compact.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Agree with the above, except the comment about the new variants being more compact. The a6000 is the biggest all previous APC-s e-mounts. It is comparable to NEX-6 and 7, but it is not even close to the size of the a5000, NEX 5, and NEX3 series. I needed to point this out since size was a key concern for the OP.

To OP - The best way to compare the physical dimensions and and technical capabilities of the various cameras is to use snapsort.com compare function http://snapsort.com/compare.
    Once you do that, you can come back to this group for their experiences and feedback on each camera.

6. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    according to your post, among them a6000 is latest and the best. isn't it?

7. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Yes A6000 is the current top model.

8. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    but, sadly a6000 dosent come with touchscreen.

Is touchscreen needed in focusing?

Which type will u choose between a6000 and nex 5t (touchscreen included)?

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Depends on what you shoot. If you shoot action stuff the A6000 is probably the better choice. If you shoot static stuff off a tripod the A6000 may be overkill.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I have 5t and love having the touchscreen option. Amongst other things, it makes it easy to select a focus point without having to recompose. This particular issue is something you will find as a negative in just about every review of the a6000.

That said, aside from the touchscreen and size. The a6000 is just a better overall camera. You will have to decide what matters most to the type of photography you expect to do.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The 5T touchscreen is a strange item. It first made an apperance on the 5T and the 5N to a great reception, never to be used by any subsequent model. :what:

12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Agreed. The 5t was the last NEX branded e-mount. It's only a few months old. It used to be that pros don't need touchscreens, but all top models (EM1, XT1, V3 ) from the competition have touchscreens. The only real explanation is cost savings.

13. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Sony keeps doing strange permutations to their products. Put a touchscreen on all but the top varients. Put an inbuilt flash in the bottom and top models (nex6 and nex3), give it as an accessory in the mid one (nex 5).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 3
  14. d3xophen

Apr 24, 2014
    now i own a6000
    thanks u all for ur answers. :)

15. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, choice is not as simple as simply saying the latest is the best.
    It depends on what a user shoots and therefore needs / can take advantage of.

Examples:

The a6000 allegedly has very fast auto focus:
    But I only use legacy Canon FD lenses in aperture / manual focus mode...so its a completely wasted feature for me;

The a6000 does not have the Tri-Nav dials:
    But I prefer the Tr-Nav dials of the NEX-7...so that's a missing feature for me;

The a6000 allegedly has a more organized set of menus;
    Once learned, I have no issue with the menus on the NEX-7...so that's no attraction for me;

Other's mileage may vary...

16. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Just to clarify the 7 does not have all the bells and whistles as stated above.
    It has no WiFi, cannot use the apps you can download for the nex 6 etc, does not have touch screen and does not have phase detection AF plus most people believe that the high ISO performance is a bit better on the 6 and 6000.
    If i were buying today I would go with the 6000.

17. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
  18. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I returned my NEX-6 back to Best Buy that I bought for $529, due to the fact I actually purchased a "new" camera and received a used one instead.
    The package received was sealed with security tape on all the seams and finding out that the NEX-6 I got was missing the battery...it became an open box item.
    After seeing the price they were selling it for, I want so bad to just turn around and repurchase it...missing battery or not.

I'm glad I didn't, because I find the A6000 to me is a better camera overall.