[Q]Choosing between SEL35f18 vs SEL24f18z?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by myattunthit, Jan 4, 2016.

1. myattunthit

myattunthit TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    I am a6000 users and have the following lens.
    1. sel1650 kit
    2. sel55210
    3. sel20f28
    4. sel50f18
    5. sel1670z
    but Sel50f18 is too tight for some places and want to buy a new prime. Price is not my problem. Give me your opinions. I like to shot for my vacation. My shooting style is shot the people with landscape.

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

To me the 24 is the more flexible lens, I've travelled for years with nothing but a 35mm on a film Nikon and didn't miss anything else too much. On APS-C 35mm is too tight for most of my stuff. Others do prefer a 35mm (50mm FOV) though, it all depends. I've used my 18 and 19mm lenses (~28mm FOV) a lot lately but if I had to live with only one lens it'd be a 35mm equ.
    Since you already have the SEL20f28 what about using nothing else for a while and see how you get along with that focal length? If you've shot long enough you'll know what to get :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I discovered the 28/2 and I think that should be added to your list.

- it's wider than the 35/1.8 and nearly as fast (it's VERY useable wide open)
    - It can be used on full frame, and therefore has a bigger resale market
    - it has standard distortion on full frame, but almost non on APS-C, and it's not complex distortion like the 20/2.8
    - it has some soft corners and vignetting on full frame which, again, disappear on aps-c
    - it's faster focusing than the Sigmas IIRC (it's been a while since I used the Sigmas)

But it's not particularly wide (the 20, Sigma 19 and the 24 will be noticeably wider). It's still a near-normal lens. Just not as tight as the 35.

Also, if you want wider and really don't care about budget (nor resale) then I would think the 24 is the right lens.

My other question is, why not the 10-18?

Sample shots are in this thread Showcase - Sony FE 28mm f/2.0 and some of mine on the a6000 are here Showcase - Sony FE 28mm f/2.0

• Like Like x 1
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Primarily, I agree with Nexnut. It is wise to use what you have to guide you. If price is not an issue, the Batis 25mm should be on your list for consideration. In the future, it would also give you full frame options.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8. You can pick one up used for less than $600.

6. myattunthit

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    35mm equivalent mean>> 35mm on full frame = 24mm on apsc?
    is it right that 35mm did this guy mentioned is on full frame? Not on APS-C? If yes, what focal length for my a6000?

Sorry I don't know youtube link is allowed or not.
    I am new to camera and I used camera when I am on trip.
    I just buyed 1670f4z for my trip. I think is this enough?

7. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    35mm equivalent or 24mm on apsc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. myattunthit

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    is SEL 24mm f1.8 zeiss len is a good lens?
    some said it can't beat sigma 19mm f2.8 in low light. is it true?

9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sounds like BS to me. The 24 is more than one stop faster than the Sigma and while it doesn't reach its max. resolution wide open, especially in the corners it's perfectly usable for many shots. Just stop it down to f2, the center performance improves significantly and it's still one stop ahead of the Sigma. Don't get me wrong though, I really like my Sigma trio (19-30-60) but you have to know what you need for your stuff. I sold the 24 because it's too large on the NEX and I have the Fujis (23mm/f1.4, X100T w/23mm/f2) for that type of shots. I mainly use my NEX-7 in good light at base ISO these days. That's where it sings best and more often than not gives that X-Trans sensor on the Fujis a run for the money.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    With the possible exception of the 32mm Touit, the Zony 24mm 1.8 is the best native E-mount lens. I owned the Sigma 19mm,30mm and SEL 35mm 1.8. I sold all three after purchasing the 24mm.
    How can an f/2.8 lens be better than an f/1.8 lens in low light? Doesn't make sense.

The biggest difference between the Sigma and Zony is the focal length. If you are looking for more of a landscape type lens with a wider view and are going to shoot at f/8 most of the time then it makes more sense to consider the Sigma. If you are looking to shoot more of the tradition 35mm equivalent for a walk-around, all purpose fast lens then you Zony 24mm 1.8 is for you.

Here are some samples from the 24mm. You may want to look around that sub-forum for samples from the other lenses you are considering. Good luck!

Showcase - Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

• Like Like x 1
  11. myattunthit

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    Like I said before, I am new to photography. My question would be noob.
    Where can I get used sel24f18 lower than 600. ebay?

12. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I purchased mine off ebay for $590. Just check the reputation (obviously) of the seller. Make sure there are plenty of photos of the lens - avoid a lens that looks "beat up" or has less than perfect glass. I also thought I saw this lens for sale down below on this site.

13. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The other thing I would recommend is a book for you to better understand photography. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good place to start and was the first thing I purchased after I bought my NEX-3 and got back into photography.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    For newbies, Bryan Peterson's book is essential.

15. myattunthit

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    If I shot SEL1670z with setting 24mm f4 and shot sel24f18z with setting of 24mm f4, will the quality same at day or night? Distortion same?

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You shoot RAW or Jpeg? If you shoot Jpeg, then the distortion can be corrected automatically in-camera. Personally I've never understood the concern of distortion on these modern lenses (lightroom profiles is just a click)...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    This is worded in a way that might be misinterpreted. Just to make sure you are doing the math in the right direction:

A 24mm LENS, when used on an APSC camera, has a field of view like a 36mm on full frame.

A 35mm LENS, when used on an APSC camera, has a field of view like a 52.5mm on full frame.

The rule is Lens Focal Length X 1.5 = Apparant Focal Length on APSC.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I don't have the 16-70 zoom but from what I've researched on it I would guess the following;

More distortion in the zoom
    Prime would be slightly sharper.
    The average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Day or night wouldn't make much difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. myattunthit

Jan 4, 2016
    Myat Tun Thit
    Ok then, I already have 1670z, is it necessary to buy SEL24f18z?

20. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Well, your 16-70 can't shoot at f/1.8. If you want to shoot below f/4 with the best native prime, then yes.

My suggestion, before you plunk down the money, is buy the book and give yourself 3 to 6 months of shooting with your existing lenses. This will give you an idea of how things work, what focal lengths are you shooting from and what do you feel is lacking. Come mid-year you'll be able to make a better and more confident decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1