1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Putting things into perspective

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, May 2, 2015.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My wife and I drove a little over an hour to Pomeroy, a little town in SE OH along the Ohio River, to have lunch at the Wild Horse Cafe. Popular place, with great river views from every seat. We decided to dine on the patio - which turned out to be a bit on the brisk side, but was also completely bug-free. I had my camera bag with a handful of lenses, and took a few pics from my seat with the A7. In order, the lenses are Konica AR 57/1.4, 40/1.8, and 28/3.5, ending with the Pen F 25/4. This is certainly a character lens, and I got several great photos with it and the A7 on this morning's hike. More will follow in another thread. I've been shooting all day, and have dozens of photos to process.

TT
    DSC05691-1.
    DSC05683-1.
    DSC05684-1.
    DSC05688-1.

• Like Like x 8
  2. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Maybe its just me - always going wide for scenic and landscape - but I am loving the 40 and 28. The colours seem more dynamic too. Great set of comparison shots.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    40 and 28 for me too. Now I know what to expect if I come across one of those, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The 40 & 28 are my favorites for this type of work, too. The 57 is great, but I think it is best for close quarters work.

TT

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    +1 for 40mm as a standard lens for landscapes and cityscapes. The Konica 40/1.8 isn't half bad in my experience, made quite some shots with it on the A7; it never did anything for me on the NEX-6, much too narrow field of view.

The sky is special in your pics, worth some extra effort in PP I think.

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Ad. I didn't do anything special with the photos. Ran the RAW files through RawTherapee with default settings, then balanced the levels in GIMP. Any other suggestions for making them pop further?

TT

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Quick and dirty processing in Lightroom on your jpeg.
    • White balance set warmer
    • Pull up the shadows to get the landscape less sombre
    • Pulled highlights back in the whole sky with an adjustment brush
    • Pulled exposure back in the middle of the sky with a radial filter
    • Pulled highlights back a second time with a second adjustment brush in the lower part of the sky, bumped up contrast quite a bit and adjusted exposure to balance it with the rest of the sky
    Now the color tone of the lower part of the sky doesn't look ideal but I'm not sure I could fix that in LR, maybe would have to go to Photoshop for that.

i-qs2Cxh5.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Nice. I don't have LR, as my home PC runs on Linux, but your version does look less sombre, as you said. Thanks.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Just playing around . . .
    DSC05683.
    DSC05684.

• Like Like x 2