1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Purple fringing? Nex 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by thambert, Sep 8, 2013.

1. thambert

thambert New to TalkEmount

Aug 17, 2013

Hi! I'm new here. I Took it using a 2 days old nex 6. Is it normal? Or my camera is faulty? This happens whenever the white lights are either on the left or right edges.

2. thambert

Aug 17, 2013
    I was using both the kit lens provided and a sony telephoto 18-200mm 3.5-6.3 lens. The purplish hues are very obvious in the photos and even in the camera screen before the photos are taken. In the last picture, a purplish outline of the edges of the lamp can be clearly seen. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I dare say someone around here can explain a lot better than I can, but yes it is pretty normal to have fringing at the edges of the frame especially when using the kit lenses of any make.

It is always in areas of high contrast, dark tree branches against a very light sky is always a good bet for fringing (chromatic aberration). Its fairly easily removed if you have Adobe Lightroom or something like it. Sometimes it shows up as purple, sometimes a green/blue colour.

I don't think you have a faulty camera.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    These are not chromatic aberrations, but rather lens flare. It happens often with cheap lenses, but even the most expensive ones are not completely immune to it. When the light source is out of the picture, using a lens hood might help. When it is like in your sample, try a little different framing or another angle, that might help. If you want to completely avoid flare, I'm afraid you'd have to invest in a lens with a better coating, like Zeiss T* or similar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, CA is just a few pixels wide, it typically shows only in enlargements. Flare and internal reflections are much worse. I think that it is an internal reflection.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using TalkNEX mobile app

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    This might be not only flare, but also an aberration called coma. Assuming that you used the lenses wide-open this doesn't like all that incommon. Investing in better lenses might help but there's no guarantee, only the very best lenses are able to avoid this and even then you might have to stop down a little.

7. thambert

Aug 17, 2013
    Hi, thanks for all the advice. I actually went down to the service centre and the people were rather suprised at the pictures i show them. We decided to do a test using the sony store's nex 6 n mine both using a carl zeiss lens from the store and see if it's the lens or the camera causing the problems. Here are the results after cropping.

Same nex 6's, Same photo subject at the same place, same lens, same auto mode but my nex 6 has a very prominent purplish flare and a very clear purple outline around the light whereas the picture taken by the nex 6 at the sony store shows very minimal purplish flare and shows almost no purplish outline of the light.

I'm praying for a possible one to one exchange and to finally get one that's working fine finally.

Last picture showing the dreaded magic purple line. :)

Thanks to all who helped to analyse possible reasons that prevented this particular nex 6 from performing up to its ability. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkNEX mobile app

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Wow, never would have thought that cameras could show these kind of differences between them. :eek:

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You used the 24mm Sonnar for the test, right? Because the purple fringing looks exactly like it should with this lens. Again, not a camera problem and easy to correct, but that's a whole different problem than the one in your opening post. Flare and fringing are two totally different things. Also, there's fringing in the second shot too, but it's not purple but green. Did you use a different lens for this shot?

10. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I realize this is an old thread but was wondering what if anything Sony did for you about your NEX-6 that had the obvious purple fringing problem?